[spectre] No Art Ecology without “P2P” Social Ecology.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sat Mar 2 11:16:17 CET 2013

Sorry for any cross posting...

"I’m extremely happy that our p2p theoretical work has inspired actual
art curators and artists such as Marc Garrett and Ruth Catlow of
Furtherfield. In this essay, they describe their projects in the context
of p2p developments and theorizing. In our second installment we will
present the actual art projects." Michel Bauwans.

No Art Ecology without “P2P” Social Ecology.

By Marc Garrett, Ruth Catlow:

Many contemporary artists who take the networks of the digital
information age as their medium, work directly with the hardware,
algorithms and databases of digital networks themselves and the systems
of power that engage them. Inspired by network metaphors and processes,
they also craft new forms of intervention, collaboration, participation
and interaction (between human and other living beings, systems and
machines) in the development of the meaning and aesthetics of their
work. This develops in them a sensitivity or alertness to the diverse,
world-forming properties of the art-tech imaginary: material, social and
political. By sharing their processes and tools with artists, and
audiences alike they hack and reclaim the contexts in which culture is
created.

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/no-art-ecology-without-p2p-social-ecology/2013/03/01

* Article: DIWO: Do It With Others – No Ecology without Social Ecology.
By Marc Garrett, Ruth Catlow – Furtherfield, 26/01/2013

(source: Remediating the Social 2012. Editor: Simon Biggs University of
Edinburgh. Pages 69-74)

--
--->

A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield – online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery – Finsbury Park (London).
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield