[spectre] Süden Radio / Berlin / Open Call

Diana McCarty diana.mccarty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:19:06 CEST 2013

On the occasion of Süden (South in German), an exhibition curated by
Villa Romana [www.villaromana.org] that will be held at the Deutsche
Bank KunstHalle in Berlin from August 26th to September 8th 2013

Radio Papesse invites you to Süden Radio

15-days of special broadcasting in which we will try to dwelve into
many possible different sonic dimensions of the South: what is it? Is
it just a matter of latitude? Is it a phenomenon, is it a method, a
cliché? Is it possible to define or to open up the geographical scale
of the South? How do we look at it? In the face of the multiplicity of
borders, how can we approach it, without reducing the discourse to
mere geographical terms? without reducing its complexity into a
monolithic phenomenological entity through which and unlike to we
define ourselves?

In collaboration with Saout Radio and Reboot.fm.

Call for soundworks
We look for you, musicians, activists, composers and artists, to share
your inspiring contribution on this arduous and slippery field of
investigation. We need to test our medium and our means. Be it
acoustic experiments, songs, field recordings, philosophy, poetry,
travel or geographical advice, South-notion related classical or
electronic compositions, documentaries, interviews and chats ‘going
south‘. Be it music, playlists, a radio show or features, we are
looking forward to listen to how the notion of South may be reflected
in your own work and research.

We don’t ask for original soundworks, but recent and less recent works
are all welcome.

What we have to offer is:
_the broadcast of a selection of contributions locally and on stream
(radiopapesse.org, reboot.fm and Saout Radio) and via a listening
station inside the Deutsche Bank KunstHalle in Berlin; selected Süden
Radio broadcasts will be transmitted on the Radia network;
_an opportunity for publication (including short bio and links) on
website: the selected productions will enter the Radio Papesse’s
archive;
_one selected soundwork will be awarded € 200,00.

The selected work will be announced Sunday, September 1st during Süden
Radio LIVE @ at 8PM on Reboot.fm, Berlin. The selection will be up to
a jury composed by Radio Papesse, Saout Radio and Villa Romana. All
decisions are final.

Guidelines:
All the soundworks should be sumbitted via WeTransfer to suden at radiopapesse.org
Deadline: July 25th 2013. There are NO submission fees.
Any submission requires:
_your audio file (wav, 44.1 Khz, mp3 >256 kbps),
_production sheet including title, length, author and genre,
_short CV (max. 500 spaces),
_authorisation for entering the Audio Archive purposes (yes/no),
_a photo relating either to you or your work (max. 200 kb).
Copyrights:
Radio Papesse is a non-commercial production platform. The copyright
for submitted files remains with the artists. A selected number of
your submissions may be presented on the website as a public archive.
For this, we would then need your consent in writing.
The licensing format we ususally adopt is the Creative Commons License
but we’re up for other licesing suggestions.

Who we are:
Radio Papesse [www.radiopapesse.org] places itself on the irregular
border where art and sound converge. Not a magazine, nor an artistic
project, rather it is a method of production we have been pursuing
since 2006 and that is gaining strenght from its relational dimention.
As Gregory Whitehead reads “Radio is mostly a set of relationships, an
intricate triangulation of listener, 'player' and system”. We try to
be in the middle of it.
Radio Papesse is a webradio streaming 24/7 and a free online sound
archive growing day by day. RP is based in Florence, Italy.

Saout Radio [www.saout-radio.com] is a webradio project inspired by
the need of a research on contemporay artistic practices in relation
to the sonic and radiophonic language.
It was founded in Maroc by artists Younes Baba-Ali and Anna Raimondo
and it aims to promote the research and practice of sound art in
Maghreb, Africa and Middle East.
Saout Radio is a project for the creation of transmission spaces and
exchange on international artistic platforms. It supports different
and hybrid forms of sound productions, from soundscaping to radio art
from artistic documentaries to experimental music.

Reboot.fm [www.reboot.fm] : Free Artists Radio
Art, Discourse and Electronic Music from Berlin. 88.4 FM
Reboot.fm is an award winning artist run radio that broadcasts pop
culture, politics, interviews, DJ sets, live concerts and experimental
formats live from the House of World Cultures!

Contacts:
Radio Papesse
Carola Haupt & Ilaria Gadenz
info at radiopapesse.org