[spectre] A disjointed conversation – Claire Bishop, The Digital Divide, and the State of New Media Contemporary Art.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Jan 16 12:08:16 CET 2013

Sorry for any cross posting...

A disjointed conversation – Claire Bishop, The Digital Divide, and the
State of New Media Contemporary Art.

By Patrick Lichty.

I found Claire Bishop’s landmark essay on Digital Art, ‘The Digital
Divide’ in  Artforum’s 50th Anniversary issue three months late through
Lauren Cornell and Brian Droitcour’s equally polemic response,
‘Technical Difficulties’ in the January 2013 issue.  Since September,
there have been excellent conversations, both inside and outside the New
Media community. There are a plethora of positions on Bishop’s highly
successful essay; success in that it has created such a stir. The
problem with the conversation, and I dare not say dialogue, is that the
rhetoric resulting from ‘The Digital Divide’ is disjoint along several
lines, in some ways schematizing some of the reasons for her polemic.
Secondly, the resulting cross-takedown between Lauren Cornell/Brian
Droitcour and Bishop remind me that I no longer live in the relatively
generous era in which we built the genre of New Media in the 90’s.

The irony that I see in this cacophonous conversation is that we seem to
be somewhere in the middle. Digital art and New Media works are more
evident in the art market, art-institutional complex and community than
Bishop lets on, but critics like Bishop take the position in places like
Artforum to drop a mind grenade into the Contemporary Art milieu. I
actually see this as a healthy irritant, as it has obviously spurred its
proponents into action.

On Furtherfield's Community Blog.
http://www.furtherfield.org/blog/patrick-lichty/disjointed-conversation-%E2%80%93-claire-bishop-digital-divide-and-state-new-media-conte

--
--->

A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield – online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery – Finsbury Park (London).
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield