[spectre] Lighthouse presents work by James Bridle & Mariele Neudecker

Honor Harger honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Sat Apr 27 14:17:22 CEST 2013

Hi Spectres,

Following up on my last email, I would like to let you know about our
two projects for Brighton Festival.   We are working with two
artists: Mariele Neudecker on an exhibition at Lighthouse, and James
Bridle, who we've commissioned to carry out an outdoor drawing of a
military drone.  Both artists reveal the controversial weapons of war
our governments would rather we did not see.
There are also talks taking place on 8 and 9 May.

About the Projects

Under the Shadow of the Drone by James Bridle
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/james-bridle-under-the-shadow-of-the-drone
Lighthouse has commissioned James Bridle to create an outdoor drawing
of a drone aircraft, as used by militaries around the world. The
unmanned aerial vehicle, or drone, has become one of the most potent
weapons of contemporary warfare. Under the Shadow of the Drone makes
them visible on our streets.
This week the RAF confirmed it would be flying armed Reaper drones
from the UK on missions to Afghanistan.  Bridle's life-size depiction
of a Reaper drone forces us to confront the reality of what it might
be like to experience a bombing raid carried out by a drone aircraft
on our own community.

Location: Madeira Drive, Brighton BN2 1AY
Map:
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/news/under-the-shadow-of-the-drone-location-revealed
Artist talk: Thursday 9 May, 18.00 at Lighthouse

The Air Itself Is One Vast Library by Mariele Neudecker
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/mariele-neudecker-the-air-itself-is-one-vast-library
This exhibition of startling images explores the disturbing, and
often invisible, technologies of war. In dramatic contrast with her
more familiar depictions of landscape and the sublimity of nature,
this highly topical study brings us face to face with weapons of mass
destruction.  The works in The Air Itself Is One Vast Library make
what is otherwise abstract and monstrous, tactile and present.

Location:  Lighthouse, 28 Kensington Street, Brighton BN1 4AJ
Preview Date and Time: Friday 3 May, 6-8pm, speeches at 7pm
Artist talk: Wednesday 8 May, 18.30 at Lighthouse

The Air Itself is One Vast Library and Under the Shadow of the Drone
investigate how technology can obfuscate and obscure acts of war.
They make visible the hidden infrastructures and strategies used by
the military, as a way of reminding us of our social and moral
responsibility in relation to war. These projects continue
Lighthouse's curatorial investigations into the invisible
technological frameworks that make up our world.

For more details about the projects, locations, and opening times,
please go to:
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/lighthouse-at-brighton-festival

Artist Talks

Both the artists will both be giving talk at Lighthouse during the festival:

Mariele Neudecker - Wednesday 8 May, 18.30
Mariele will talk about challenging conventional ways of seeing and
the dichotomy between nature and culture: http://is.gd/marieletalk

James Bridle - Thursday 9 May, 18.00
James will examine of the idea of drones, and the physical, virtual,
and mental spaces they occupy: http://is.gd/jamestalk

I'd be really pleased if you wanted to come along to one of these
talks.  Plase drop me a line if you'd like to come.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger
Artistic Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk
Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Tel: +44 1273 647197
Email: honor at lighthouse.org.uk