[spectre] Disrupting The Gaze: Art Intervention and the Tate Gallery.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Apr 17 13:21:24 CEST 2013

Sorry for any cross posting...

Disrupting The Gaze: Art Intervention and the Tate Gallery.

By Marc garrett (PDF Download)
http://www.academia.edu/3310901/Disrupting_The_Gaze_Art_Intervention_and_the_Tate_Gallery

Printed in - Digimag Journal – Issue 74 / Winter 2013 “Uncertainty Reloaded”
Curated by: Roberta Buiani and Marco Mancuso. With contributions by:
Franco Torriani, Ildiko Meny, Daphne Dragona, Marc Garrett, Maria
Androulaki, Alessio Chierico, Henrique Roscoe, Markéta Dolejšová, Adam
Zaretsky, Evelina Domnitch & Dmitri Gelfand, Renate Quehenberger
http://www.digicult.it/news/digimag-journal-issue-74-winter-2013-uncertainty-reloaded-online-on-monday-8-april-2013/

Introduction.

Disrupting the Gaze is written in three parts. The first chapter Art
Intervention and the Tate Gallery investigates contemporary art
intervention at the Tate Gallery. It includes artists, art groups and
activists: Graham Harwood, Platform, Liberate Tate, IOCOSE, Tamiko
Thiel, Mel Evans, Mark McGowan, Mark Wallinger, Damien Hirst and
Britart. The second chapter The Power and the Gaze studies the history
of the Tate Gallery, its connection with the Millbank Penetentiary and
the “Panopticon", Jeremy Bentham’s design and concept for the prison.
The third chapter explores different concepts of “the gaze” and includes
feminist, societal and media art contexts. Together they form part of a
larger study that looks at dissent in the context of contemporary art,
technology and social change.

Each artist(s) featured in this chapter delivers his or her own
particular unofficial and official mode of art intervention at the Tate
Gallery. Whether these interventions concern economic, social or
political conditions, they all connect in different ways. Less in their
style or genre than as contemporary artistic practitioners exploring
their own states of agency in a world where our public interfaces are as
much a necessary place of creative engagement, as is the already
accepted physical ‘inner’ sanctum of the gallery space. These artists’
and their artworks have become as equally significant (perhaps even
more) than, the mainstream art establishment’s franchised celebrities.

In his vindication of those artists hidden away in places where the art
establishment’s light rarely shines, Gregory Sholette observes that
“when, the excluded are made visible, when they demand visibility, it is
always ultimately a matter of politics and rethinking history.”
(Sholette 2011) This draws upon a contemporary art culture and its
audiences beyond the mainstream. These artistic discoveries and
discourse arise from an independent art culture that is rarely reflected
back to us. Instead, we receive more of the same, marketed franchises.
The central, mainstream version of contemporary art has found its allies
within a global and corporate culture, where business dictates art
value. Meanwhile, a spirit of artistic emancipation thrives. It is self
styled, self governed and liberated from the restrictive norms that
dominate our mediated gaze.
We live in a world riddled with contradictions and confusing signals.

Our histories are assessed and reshuffled according to the interests of
the powerful, and re-introduced as fact. We might fail to notice that
there are so many bits missing. We accept what is given through sound
bite forms of mediation and build our cultural foundations on these
acquired assumptions and imagined guidelines. This paper studies how
contemporary artists are challenging these defaults through their
connected enactments and critical inquiries into the existing
conditions. It highlights a continual dialogue involving a historical
struggle between what is held up as legitimate art and knowledge, and
what is excluded. It looks at a complexity, embedded in the class
divisions of our culture. And it draws upon struggles going as far back
as the enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, colonialism and slavery
to present day concerns with the dominance of neoliberalism. The Tate
Gallery is chosen as a focus for these various historical, contemporary,
political and societal conflicts and its ability to hold our gaze as an
icon of culture, since it was founded in 1897.