[spectre] Link Art Center Newsletter - September 2012

Domenico Quaranta qrndnc at yahoo.it
Wed Sep 26 19:05:39 CEST 2012

Link Point: new space in Brescia

On September 29, 2012, the Link Center for the Arts of the Information
Age will launch its brand new project space, the Link Point. The Link
Point is the Link Art Center's multi-functional space: a small white
cube that will work as “base” for an institution that is, and will go
on to be, nomadic, and that will serve, from time to time, as a
project room, a workshop room, a meeting point and a window on Link
Art Center's traveling projects. The new space – located in Brescia,
Via Alessandro Monti 13, takes the place formerly occupied by the
Fabio Paris Art Gallery, recently restored to better serve its new
mission.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/link_point

--

“Adam Cruces: Refresh” at Link Point

Adam Cruces: Refresh is the Link Point opening event: a one-night
exhibition that will take place on September 29, 2012. Refresh is an
attempt to re-contextualize the artist's recent digital work in a
physical space. Born in Huston, Texas, in 1985, Adam Cruces lives and
works in Zürich, Switzerland, where he is currently attending the
Zürcher Hochschule der Künste. His work makes a consistent use of
vernacular material appropriated from the web, and of concepts,
images, aesthetics and practices that, introduced by the most common
and popular interfaces, ended up populating our imaginary, and our
subconscious.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/link_point

--

“Don't Watch If You Dislike” at Link Point

On October 13, 2012, from 6.30 to 12.00 PM, the Link Point will open
again to present the video screening Don't Watch If You Dislike,
curated by Valentina Tanni: a focus on the explosion of amateur
creativity online. On show there will be a series of videos made by un-
professional creators adopting, more or less consciously, forms and
codes of contemporary art. The curator will be present.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/link_point

--

Link Dead Drop at Link Point

Installed next to the Link Point exit door, the Link Dead Drop is a
contribution to the ongoing project launched in October 2010 by German
artist Aram Bartholl, and rapidly turned into a worldwide phenomenon,
with about one thousand dead drops installed all around the world. A
dead drop is a USB flash drive embedded into a wall, that becomes part
of an “anonymous, offline, peer to peer file-sharing network in public
space.” The Link Dead Drop will be used by us to share with you Link
Editions' e-books, works by featured artists, and site specific
exhibitions, but can also be used by you to share whatever you want
with us, and with everybody else. So: when you come to the Link Point,
come with a USB enabled device.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/link_point

--

Link Editions: new releases

Link Editions is the Link Art Center publishing branch, that releases
its books in print on demand and as e-books available for free
download. In September 2012, Link Editions released two new titles:
Everything I Shoot Is Art, a collection of essays and interviews by
Swedish art critic and researcher Mathias Jansson and focused on the
various possible connection lines that can be drawn between what we
usually call “games” and what we usually call “art”, in the constant
effort to help finding a broader, more comprehensive definition for
the latter; and Spirit Surfing, an attempt to collect, preserve and
share a body of texts and visual essays written by artist, actor and
musician Kevin Bewersdorf, one of the leading figures of the so-called
“pro-surfers” generation.
On the occasion of the presentation of the show Collect the WWWorld at
319 Scholes in New York in October, Link Editions will proudly release
Ryan Trecartin's Ryan's Web 1.0. A Lossless Fall, available only as a
freely downloadable pdf.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/editions

--

“Collect the WWWorld” at 319 Scholes, New York

After its presentation in Brescia, Italy and Basel, Switzerland, the
exhibition Collect the WWWorld. The Artist as Archivist in the
Internet Age flies to New York, to be shown at 319 Scholes from
October 18 to November 4, 2012 (opening Thursday October 18, 7:00
p.m). In a completely new setup, the exhibition will feature works
previously included as well as new works by the following artists:
Alterazioni Video (I), Kari Altmann (US), Gazira Babeli (I), Kevin
Bewersdorf (US), Aleksandra Domanovic (D), Constant Dullaart (NL),
Elisa Giardina Papa (I), Travis Hallenbeck (US), Jason Huff (US), Jodi
(NL), Olia Lialina & Dragan Espenschied (D), Eva and Franco Mattes
(I), Oliver Laric (D) Jon Rafman (US), Evan Roth (US), Ryan Trecartin
(US), Brad Troemel (US), Penelope Umbrico (US), Clement Valla (US).

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/events/collect-the-wwworld

--

Share Your Sorrow: an online curatorial project

Share Your Sorrow (http://shareyoursorrow.linkartcenter.eu) is an
online curatorial project by our Artistic Director Domenico Quaranta,
and focused on strategies of social preservation of net based, digital
art. The project deals with the work of Kevin Bewersdorf, an artist
that, after being very active online between 2007 and 2009, retired
and deleted from the internet any content he published in previous
years. Everybody who got in touch with his work is invited to dig into
his / her personal archives and contribute. Because the museum of the
future may be your hard drive.

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/production

--

The MINI Museum: updates

The MINI Museum is a museum consisting only of a digital frame and an
USB flash drive, inspired by Hans Ulrich Obrist's Nanomuseum, and
traveling from node to node into a network of artists who contribute
with a site-specific project. Launched in 2010, the MINI Museum hosted
8 projects so far, traveling from UK to Germany to the Netherlands.
Since September 2012, the Mini Museum has a new home online. Check it
out: http://minimuseum.linkartcenter.eu/

More info: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/production

---

Domenico Quaranta