[spectre] fwd: ISEA2013 - Open Call for Conference Participation

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Fri Sep 21 08:12:48 CEST 2012

*ISEA2013 – 19^th International Symposium on Electronic Art*

*Call for Participation - Conference Program*

*IMPORTANT DATES*

Proposals Due (300 word abstract) - Friday, 14th November 2012

Acceptance Notification - Friday, 21st December 2012

Please submit your proposal via OpenConf:www.isea2013.org/submit
<http://www.isea2013.org/submit>

The 19th International Symposium on Electronic Art will comprise
engaging presentations and thought-provoking speakers and
discussions.Join us for informed dialogues, dynamic debates,
enlightening keynotes and experimental incursions into the extensive and
diverse practice of electronic media arts.

We are keen to connect and intertwine the conference sessions with the
wider artistic program, and we are looking for a variety of formats and
engagement for presenters and participants to ensure a high quality of
thought, deliberation and discussion.Our vision for the conference is to
provide sessions with genuine engagement. We ask that our delegates
think differently about how they envisage the format of their
presentation. To aid this, we have outlined a number of formats for you
to choose from:

*1.Provocations*

This format is ideal for presenting provocative ideas, projects, or
works in progress that lend themselves to visual displays or
presentations (5-10minutes). In these sessions, a number of presenters
have the opportunity to present their work and to engage in informal
discussion with other delegates throughout the session. Presentations
will be grouped by the committee according to topic, and generous time
will be provided after all of the presentations for group discussion.

*2.Creator Sessions*

This format provides the opportunity to present in a unique location or
environment.These are more informal sessions that allow presenters to
create their own format and to provide delegates the opportunity to be
immersed in a presentation staged away from a typical conference
setting. We are particularly looking for engagement with artworks and
practices outside of the usual conference venues.The committee will work
with you to create an engaging session.

*3.Roundtables*

These sessions are about the cross-pollination of ideas and
philosophies.They are designed to activate collaborations, offer
opportunities to build networks and to open up new connections.We will
accept ideas for full sessions of 60-90 minutes, and the committee will
conceive and design sessions according to topic or perspective. We will
work closely with presenters to create original and engaging sessions.

*4.Workshops*

These sessions are best suited for teaching or demonstrating particular
procedures, skills, or techniques. Appropriate considerations for this
session format may include: hands-on demonstrations, presentations of a
technology or technique, or an extended dialogue with participants.
These sessions can take place over an entire day, half day, or scheduled
for 60-90 minutes. Workshops will be structured to provide ample time
for interaction, participation, and involvement.Workshop conveners
should submit a formal description of the proposed workshop.

*5.Panels*

We will accept proposals for full panels or the committee will group
registered participants, whose presentations are based on a shared theme
or topic (for example, a Chair and four or five presenters) for
inclusion in these sessions. Panel sessions are scheduled for 60-90
minutes. Panels may present complementary aspects of a specific body of
work, or contrasting perspectives on a specified topic. The audiences
for these sessions will be encouraged to read the abstracts and any
associated readings before attending in order to ensure optimal audience
engagement and participation. The presenters (along with an ISEA2013
committee member if required) will conceive and design the session to
allow time for short individual provocations (approximately 10 minutes
each) and 40-60 minutes of audience discussion or Q&A.

*6.Papers*

This type of session is best suited for scholarly work and reports on
current or completed research. Authors present summaries or overviews of
their work, describing the essential features (related to purpose,
procedures, outcomes or product). This presentation should be engaging
and dynamic and can take on any form. Presentations will be grouped
according to topic or perspective into these themed sessions, with time
provided after all of the presentations for Q&A and group discussion.
Presenters are welcome to include any visual support to assist delivery
of their oral presentation.

*7.Online Collaborations*

We are looking to extend the reach of the Symposium by way of online
collaborative environments, and are especially interested in proposals
that connect distant artists, writers and collaborators to the physical
venue of ISEA2013 Sydney. These collaborations may involve projects that
lead-up to and lead-out of the event, and are aimed at establishing
relationships and connections with other artists who are not able to
physically attend the symposium. The technical systems and platforms
used to conduct these sessions need to be widely available and robust
enough to be able to function within a university, gallery or
museum-style venue and can be live (real-time) or asynchronous.

*_SUBMISSION INFORMATION_*

We are calling for an initial 300 word abstract.On submission of your
abstract, you will be asked which format(s) you would like to present
in, the committee will take this into consideration when programming the
sessions.You will be notified which session format your proposal has
been allocated into when notifications are sent.

The abstracts will be available to registered delegates online before
the Symposium and an electronic copy will be presented to delegates at
the Symposium.Please note, only authors who have registered to attend
the Symposium will be published.On completion of the Symposium, those
presenters who would like to be included in the full proceedings will be
asked to submit a 3,000 word document which will be peer reviewed and
published.

Please submit your proposal via OpenConf:www.isea2013.org/submit
<http://www.isea2013.org/submit>

We ask that you consider the ISEA2013 theme and sub-themes outlined
below. You will be required to allocate your proposal to one of these
six sub-themes on submission:

*_Theme – ‘Resistance is Futile’_*

The cutting edge of digital art has moved from the margins to become
part of the fabric of everyday life.At once ubiquitous and unnoticed,
resistance to electronic art has proven futile — it now lies embedded in
the heart of our contemporary cultures.The symposium events will infuse
the city’s social, digital and physical infrastructure. ISEA2013 aims to
create a fluid body of thought, culture, community, industry, science
and technology.

Artists play an important role in this “cutting edge.” By creatively
investigating the possibilities and pushing the limits of new
technologies, artists help us imaginatively experience and critically
reflect on their implications for life in the 21st century. Digital
electronic art is our source of innovation, the new norm in everything
from publishing to TV, to radio, games, film, fashion, music,
architecture, design, applications and gadgets. Ubiquitous and
pervasive, digital media permeates almost all creative endeavors in
everyday life and the city. The urban spaces of Sydney will provide the
scene for thinking through the consequences of digital life, creative
industries, and contemporary electronic art practice.

*Sub-themes/Threads*

*1. Resistance is Fertile*

Resistance is Futile … Resistance is Fertile… Resistance is Necessary.
ISEA2013 explores the ways art and new technologies are used in the
service of power, politics, protest and resistance.

*2. Converging and diverging realities*

The virtual bleeds into the real and increasingly our environments are
mediated, augmented and transformed through technology. Mixed and
augmented realities, obligatory social media, and locative technologies
increasingly insert different realities into the physical world while
communication simultaneously seduces us away from our immediate
surroundings. As the “internet of things” becomes a reality, do we need
to resist the ubiquitous society of participation, search, and the
culture of always-on surveillance/sousveillance?

*3. Life …but not as we know it*

Technologies are being used to extend human capabilities and to create
new life forms. ISEA2013 explores how life is increasingly becoming a
technology that is created, extended, and curated by the influence of
artists working with technology. A chance to explore and critique the
world of cyborgs, robots, alien life forms and the emergence of
unnatural biologies.

*4. Histories and Futures of Electronic Art*

Where once electronic media technologies were on the margins they now
permeate almost all of art, commerce and creativity. Digital cultures,
media art histories, and media archeologies permeate contemporary art
and design, and inform ways of seeing and understanding the world.
ISEA2013 offers a platform to explore where electronic art has come
from, where it is going and what it might become.

*5. Ecologies and Technologies*

The interrelationship of nature, culture and technology lies at the
centre-stage of contemporary life. ISEA2013 explores technology as both
the problem and solution, celebrating the role of the artist as
innovator and provocateur. ISEA2013 engages questions of urban
ecologies, consumption, food, climate, and sustainability.

*6. Creation, Collaboration and Consumption*

Digital technologies and social media are transforming social and
cultural interaction on both global and local scales. Everyone is
connected, everyone is a creator. But not everybody likes what they see
or wants to participate in the prescribed forms of contemporary social
media. ISEA2013 encourages debate, provocations and engagement in the
global nets of participation.

*_ENQUIRIES_*

For information on the ISEA2013 Academic Committee and selection
process, or for general information about ISEA2013, please see our
website www.isea2013.org <http://www.isea2013.org> or contact Kristen
Bowen (isea at anat.org.au <mailto:isea at anat.org.au>).

--
Kristen Bowen
Project Coordinator

ISEA2013 is an international festival of electronic art and ideas that
will take place in Sydney, Australia. Presented by the Australian
Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) and held alongside Vivid Sydney –
a festival of light, music and ideas – ISEA2013 will showcase the best
media artworks from around the world and provide a platform for the
lively exchange of future-focused ideas.