[spectre] Webcam instrument workshop 25th Nov - London Music Hackspace

Sus susannagg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:13:36 CET 2012

Hi list,

Sorry for xpost.

There are still places available for London Music Hackspace's upcoming
workshops.

Sunday 25th Nov 2012:
Turn the webcam on your laptop into an instrument controlled by movement +
London Music Hackspace Ensemble meeting.

Sunday 2nd Dec 2012:
Learn how to make electronic music with your kitchenware.

More info below.

Best,

Susanna.

Music Hackspace Ensemble + Webcam instrument workshop

Join us on Sunday 25th of November 2012 for a day of workshopping and the
first Music Hackspace Ensemble meeting with Tim Murray-Browne, our resident
composer under Sound and Music’s embedded composer residency programme.

We will start with a workshop where we create instruments that respond to
movement using the webcam on your laptop and software synthesisers.

Afterwards we’ll have the first Music Hackspace Ensemble meeting (
http://musichackspace.org/meet-tim-murray-browne-composer-in-residency/ ).
Bring along your own ideas, projects and instruments, as this will be a
good opportunity for all to brainstorm and discuss the possibilities and
objectives of the Ensemble project. Feel free to attend either the workshop
or the meeting, but it will be much better if you can make both!

25th Nov 2012 at Troyganic, 132 Kingsland Road, E2 8DY London.

12 pm to 4 pm – Workshop
In this workshop you will learn how to turn the webcam on your laptop into
an instrument controlled by movement. We will be exploring the relationship
between physical movement and sound, how to extract musically useful data
from a video stream and how to link these together in a way that makes
sense to you and any potential spectators.

The workshop will involve using
- openFrameworks to grab the webcam stream and turn it into MIDI data,
- OpenCV to track movement, create trigger zones and possibly some
face-tracking,
- Ableton Live to host and control software synthesisers from the MIDI.

It will be helpful to have some experience of openFrameworks, C++ or
Ableton Live but we will provide you with a starter kit that will work out
the box so if you don’t have experience you’ll still have a basic working
instrument to start exploring with.

What do you need to bring:
You need to bring your own laptop with Ableton installed (there is a free
30 day trial version available). If your laptop does not have a webcam you
will need an external one. Also, you will need an IDE. If you are on a Mac
this is Xcode which is available for free on the app store (it takes time
to download so it’s best to do this before the workshop). On a PC, we will
be working with Visual Studio 2010 Express, which is also available to
download for free from the Microsoft website. You will also need a pair of
headphones.

We will be providing a kit with OpenFrameworks and OpenCV on the day.

4 pm – Break

4.30 pm – Music Hackspace Ensemble project meeting group
After the workshop we will have a break and then return to the first
Hackspace Ensemble meeting. Feel free to bring your own instruments,
projects and ideas – or the instrument you created in the workshop – and we
will spend some time exploring where we want the project to go and what
kind of projects or events we hope to come out of it. All welcome!

Please register via workshops at musichackspace.org

http://musichackspace.org/music-hackspace-ensemble-webcam-instrument-workshop/

Hi-Tech Kitchenware Workshop

Ever wondered how to make punchy electronic music with your kitchenware?
How to take your dinner table to the next level? Just visit the pound shop
and come to visit us on Sunday Dec 2nd with some salad bowls, pots, pans
and a few electronic components.

The workshop is aimed to put your design ideas into practice. We will start
with some kitchenware of your choice (pots, pans, glasses), identify a
design, position the sensors and help you build your instrument. No prior
knowledge required, open to everyone.

The morning session is aimed to provide advice on the best ‘percussive’
solutions, those that will make the most performable instruments.
We will proceed by demonstrating where to put the sensors, the key places
for the most interesting performance.

The Arduino, safely encased inside the instruments, will require a simple
circuit for the construction of which you will receive step-by-step
instructions.
The afternoon might include a quick Ableton Live 8 tutorial on MIDI-mapping
(depending on how many users will be using this platform).
We will demonstrate some patches that conjugate the universe of percussion
instruments with the one of pitched sound.

At the end of the day, we will organize an ensemble performance for you to
join in a jam with all the new instruments.
The Hi-Tech Kitchenware Workshop will be lead by performer and
percussionist Enrico Bertelli, instrument builder and Rebel Technology
founder Martin Klang and composer David Ibbett.

What to bring?
- Your laptop with any VST host (e.g. Ableton Live, Cubase, Reaper…)
- Download Ardrumo
- Arduino /// If you don’t have your own, Arduino Uno will be available at
an extra cost (£25).
- USB for the Arduino
- Any piece/s of kitchenware you want to use /// A kitchenware item per
participant will be provided at no extra cost.

All other materials including electronic components and tools will be
provided for all participants.

Hi-Tech Kitchenware Workshop