[spectre] Review - Libre Graphics Research Unit - Co-Position meeting.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Mar 23 16:36:52 CET 2012

Sorry for any cross postings...

Libre Graphics Research Unit - Co-Position meeting.

Article by Antonio Roberts.

How can designers and programmers work more harmoniously? How can the
tools being created better meet the needs of users? There is a need for
designers to have a greater role in the production of the tools that
they use, aside from just reporting bugs, requesting features or
designing logos for open source projects. Antonio Roberts reports back
from the Co-Position meeting of the Libre Graphics Research Unit and
looks at how artists and developers are addressing these issues.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/libre-graphics-research-unit-co-position-meeting

The first meeting, Networked Graphics, took place in Rotterdam from 7-10
December, 2011 and was Hosted by WORM. This second meeting, Co-Position,
for which Antonio was present, took place at venues across Brussels from
22-25 February 2012. Co-Position is described by LGRU as:

"[...] an attempt to re-imagine lay-out from scratch. We will analyse
the history of lay-out (from moveable type to compositing engines) in
order to better understand how relations between workflow, material and
media have been coded into our tools. We will look at emerging software
for doing lay-out differently, but most importantly we want to sketch
ideas for tools that combine elements of canvas editing, dynamic
lay-out, networked lay-out, web-to-print and Print on Demand."

The meeting saw the coming together of many international artists,
theorists and developers for four days of work around this subject.

Antonio Roberts is a British digital artist whose artwork focuses on the
errors and glitches generated by digital technology. Many people would
simply discard such artefacts but Antonio preserves these errors and
displays them as art. With his roots in free culture he develops his
techniques using open source and freely available software and shares
his knowledge through the development of software.
http://www.hellocatfood.com/profile/

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield