[spectre] we are making art to view at home...

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sat Jun 9 13:04:58 CEST 2012

we are making art to view at home...

By Helen Varley Jamieson.

I really do wonder what the Tate Modern means when they say that their
"live performance room" is "the only place you can see art made for you
to view at home". Quite aside from the myriad artworks available online
for people to experience - live or otherwise - have they forgotten about
television, radio, and other media, digital and analogue, that has made
the viewing of art possible not only at home but in all kinds of private
and domestic spaces for - well, a very long time?

Instead of expressing my frustration the Tate staff's ignorance of the
field they claim to lead (they describe their Live Performance Room
series as "ground-breaking" and "the first artistic programme created
purely for live web broadcast"), I'm going to talk about some of the
other, actually ground-breaking and innovative work that you can not
only view, but also participate in, from the comfort of your own home;
which is actually nothing new - ground-breaking artists have been
creating this kind of work for at least 15 years.

Last Saturday night, while sitting at home, I had the pleasure of
participating in "Transmittance", an ongoing networked performance
project by Maja Delak & Luka Prinčič - this time in collaboration with
artists at the Trouble festival in Brussels. "Transmittance" combines a
live audio-visual stream with an IRC chat, and invites online
participants to guide the action by selecting from a range of "choices"
- movements, sound, text - that are then performed by the artists to the
camera.

more...
http://www.furtherfield.org/blog/helen-varley-jamieson/we-are-making-art-view-home