[spectre] Call for Participation: ANTHEMITY - A participative installation about the Anthem of Europe

simon v simon.vincent at visionofsound.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 11:25:46 CEST 2012

Dear Spectre List,

I am forwarding this call on behalf of a colleague of mine.

The project is extremely interesting and I hope it finds resonance with some
of you.

Best wishes,
Simon Vincent

--

Institut für Kunst und Medien
Haus 2, 101

E: simon.vincent at fh-potsdam.de
W: www.visionhead.de
W: www.myspace.com/visionofsound
W: www.emw.eu

=================================

Call for Participation: ANTHEMITY - A participative installation about the
Anthem of Europe

An introduction to ANTHEMITY
Europe, who or what are you? A place of multicultural exchange, of
cross-fertilisation? Cradle of human rights and democracy? Or just a
bureaucratic monster, threatening national sovereignty, and quite pointless
in view of globalisation? Is Europe as a political amalgamation paying
attention to social aspects? Where will this lead to?

Utopian Europe, as a region of cohabitation, is deep-rooted in symbols.
Symbols that manifest the supra-national merging: a common currency, a
common flag and a common Anthem of Europe, the Prelude from “Ode to the
Joy”, Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Referring to the unspoken motto: „All humans
will become brothers”. Our daily life is already using the possibilities of
the European Union: we can travel around, sell and buy items, settle and
work wherever we want. With a minimum of bureaucratic effort. The European
Union as a step forward to a pacifistic and democratic World Union? Or is
Brussels a symbol of the post-democratic society, where economics are the
new sovereigns? Somewhere in between, the inhabitants of Europe have to
position themselves.

The installation ANTHEMITY focuses on the anthem and asks to what extent an
European identity might be discovered. For that reason, it is necessary to
involve the inhabitants of Europe: All of you – those who have found a home
in the European Union, and those of you still looking for a home in the EU,
take the European Anthem and inscribe yourself into it. Deconstruct it. Take
parts of it, recomplete it, inject missing items or moods...make your own
interpretation!

The soundscape project ANTHEMITY is a stage and soundboard for your European
vision.

http://philmstelle.de/projects/anthemity.html