[spectre] Remix between DIY and aesthetics.Time-based work by André Gonçalves

Redazione Digicult redazione at digicult.it
Wed Jul 4 15:46:21 CEST 2012

Digicult Articles:

Remix between DIY and aesthetics. Time-based work by André Gonçalves

an essay by Ana Carvalho
http://www.digicult.it/news/16961-2/

---

The practices of re-combination and repetition of pre-existent material
that we call remixing, nowadays detached from its musical roots, combined
with other apropriative methods, and expanded to image, text and to the
combinatory possibilities across all media, is defined, in generic terms,
by the creative production based on the actions of cut, copy and paste[1].

Remix carries within itself values about intellectual property and ethics
related to the exchange and sharing of content, experience and expertise.
Remixing implies collecting, re-contextualizing by re-combining data and
its meanings. In performance, the remixed combination becoms momentariry
and ephemeral.

In this text I will trace a parallel between the actions of remixing
content/data and actions of hacking technology (hardware) in a way that
expresses recombination as a creative process that brings the new to
existence. This text is part of a series of ongoing written exercises on
live audiovisual performative practices at their intersection with other
art practices and other areas of knowledge.

http://www.digicult.it/news/16961-2/_

Marco Mancuso
Digital Art, Design & Culture
Digicult Director | Critic, Curator and Professor
Largo Murani 4, 20133, Milan (Italy)
Mob. +39.340.8371816 | Skype. Sostakovich
http://www.digicult.it
<http://www.digicult.it/digimag> <http://www.marcomancuso.net/>