[spectre] Updates, Awards, Exhibitions & More - The Face to Facebook Newsletter

Alessandro Ludovico a.ludovico at neural.it
Sun Jan 22 04:16:13 CET 2012

Press Release,
January 19th, 2012. Stuttgart.

Face to Facebook
<http://t.ymlp231.net/eyazaejmbalahuarauswu/click.php>http://www.face-to-facebook.net
Stealing 1 million Facebook profiles, filtering
them with face-recognition software and posting
them without user authorization on a custom-made
dating website, sorted by the characteristics of
their facial expressions.
A project by Paolo Cirio and Alessandro Ludovico.

Vote for us if you want:
We're running for the NETWORK CULTURE AUDIENCE
AWARD of the 25th Stuttgarter Filmwinter. Vote
for Face to Facebook if you want:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/msagaejmbavahuavauswu/click.php>http://voting.creative.arte.tv/filmwinter
(just click on the picture and then rate it in the stars at the bottom)
Face to Facebook will be also in the exhibition
"Medien im Raum & Network Culture" during the
festival at the Filmhaus and is also nominated
for the Jury Award.

In other awesome news:
We also won another renowned international award:
the Share Prize (granted by the eponymous
festival). For the statement of the jury
(consisting of Bruce Sterling and Simona Lodi):
"They blended artistic elements with an
extraordinary talent for activism, bringing
Zuckerberg's colossus to its knees. The winning
artists did not hesitate to overstep the line of
the law to denounce an even bigger theft to the
detriment of users: that of the ownership rights
to their personal data, held by Facebook"
<http://t.ymlp231.net/muaraejmbanahuapauswu/click.php>http://www.toshare.it/?page_id=5377&lang=en

Legal update:
It's somehow symbolic that instead of us, it's
the media and some governments to take actions
against Facebook and its face recognition
software.
First, Facebook was threatened with a legal
action in Germany over its facial recognition
software, which critics say violates privacy and
data protection laws:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mearaejmbacahuapauswu/click.php>http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/03/facebook-facial-recognition-privacy-germany
Generally speaking the European Union is also
very concerned about privacy violations derived
from the same software and is seriously studying
the case:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mmaaaejmbaxahuafauswu/click.php>http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/technology/09facebook.html
And finally respect is due to Max Schrems, 24,
who decided to ask Facebook for a copy of his
data in June after attending a lecture by a
Facebook executive while on an exchange programme
at Santa Clara University in California. He
discovered the social networking site held 1,200
pages of personal data about him, much of which
he had deleted. He log a list of 22 separate
complaints with the Irish data protection
commissioner, and has started the audit process
with Facebook.
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mjaraejmbaoahuanauswu/click.php>http://europe-v-facebook.org

Exhibitions and lectures:
In the next months we have the following lectures scheduled:
* 16 February, DATA, lecture, Dublin - Ireland
* 9 March, Unlike Us, lecture, Amsterdam - The Netherlands
* 21 June, "Poetry, Language, Code", lecture and exhibition, Cambridge, UK

In the last few months Face to Facebook was
included in seven exhibitions and we made ten
presentations around Europe and beyond. Here are
some of the installation pictures:

* Share Festival Cops & Robs 2011 in Turin - Italy:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mbaiaejmbagahuapauswu/click.php>http://face-to-facebook.net/face-to-facebook/face-to-facebook_share.php

* Impakt Festival, 2011, Utrecht - Holland:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mhacaejmbaaahuazauswu/click.php>http://face-to-facebook.net/face-to-facebook/face-to-facebook_impakt.php

* Data cuerpos y retratos compartidos at De
Centro Fundación Telefónica in Lima - Peru:
<http://t.ymlp231.net/mwaiaejmbakahuarauswu/click.php>http://face-to-facebook.net/face-to-facebook/face-to-facebook_lima.php

Thanks for your attention.
Paolo and Alessandro.