[spectre] V2_Newsletter November 2011

V2_ joris at v2.nl
Fri Oct 28 12:41:51 CEST 2011

*V2_Newsletter November 2011*

V2_ is also on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/V2unstable> and Twitter
<http://twitter.com/#%21/V2unstable>
http://www.v2.nl

*Blowup: /We Are All Crew/*
November 3,4,5, 2011
Admission: 5 EUR, (students free)
V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam

To acknowledge the 100th anniversary of Marshall McLuhan's birth, V2_
presents three days of McLuhan activities in Rotterdam. Together with
InterAccess (Toronto) we present the /Strategic Art Initiative
2.0/ exhibition of re-created early telematic artworks. We have the
worldwide premiere of /Them F*ckin' Robots/, a documentary on the work
and influence of electronic art pioneer Norman White by Ine Poppe and
Sam Nemeth and a keynote lecture
<http://www.v2.nl/events/things-we-love-and-love-to-hate-about-marshall-mcluhan>
by Dutch thinker and author Arjen Mulder, examining the things we love
and love to hate about McLuhan. Check out the full program at:

http://www.v2.nl/events/blowup-we-are-all-crew

*ISMAR 2011: Hello Worlds*
October 26 -- 30
Basel, Switzerland

V2_ is currently organizing the exhibition /Hello Worlds/ for the 10th
International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality in Basel,
Switzerland. We selected four works out of 24 submissions for further
improvement and production in V2_'s Lab. These four brand new
productions will be presented in the exhibition together with eight
installations that form highlights in the history of artistic research
in AR technology.

http://www.v2.nl/events/ismar-2011

*Test_Lab: /Who Wants To Be...?/ + Blowup: /Show Me The Money/ *
December 1+2, 2011, 20:00-23:00
V2_, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam

Test_Lab: /Who Wants to Be...?/ is a social experiment in the form of a
raucous game show developed by art collective The People Speak. All
visitors chip in 10 EUR in advance to enter the game, after which they
brainstorm, argue, and vote on how to spend the collective money.

"..a hugely liberating and spontaneous night of audience autonomy." -
The Guardian

The next day we continue with Blowup: /Show Me The Money/. What price
tag do you put on priceless experiences and objects? Join us in a
discussion getting to the root of notions of "value" and "culture" with
cultural economist Diane Ragsdale, electrical scientist Saul Albert, and
artist Christian Nold.

http://www.v2.nl/events/test_lab-who-wants-to-be

*
Protei Wins 3rd Prize in VIDA 13.2 Competition*

Protei has won third place in the Vida 13.2 Art & Artificial Life
International Competition. The project, represented by Cesar Harada will
receive EUR8,000 and will be part of an exhibition in Madrid. Harada's
international team worked on the oil-spill-cleaning sailing drones at
V2_ in Rotterdam last summer. Protei was shown to the public in
an exhibition as part of Festival Wereld van Witte de With.

http://www.v2.nl/lab/blog/protei-wins-3rd-prize-of-vida-13.0

*Dick Raaymakers wins Art+Technology Award 2011*
November 10, 2011, Deventer

Composer and theatre maker Dick Raaymakers is to receive the
Witteveen+Bos Art+Technology Award 2011 for his entire oeuvre. The award
ceremony will take place in the Bergkerk Church in Deventer on November
10, 2011 and will be celebrated with a Raaymakers exhibition which will
run until December 4, 2011.

http://www.v2.nl/lab/blog/dick-raaymakers-wins-art-technology-award-2011

*50 Years of Dutch Media Art at STRP*
November 18 - 27, 2011
Eindhoven

The STRP festival, taking place this year for the fifth time in Philips'
old Strijp-S building, is staging an exhibition devoted to half a
century of media art in the Netherlands. We're proud of the role V2_ has
played in that history since 1982, thanks to the input of countless
artists and collectives. With seven installations on show at the popular
festival V2_ can call itself an official purveyor of 50 years of media
art in the Netherlands.

http://www.v2.nl/lab/blog/50-Years-of-Dutch-Media-Art-at-STRP