[spectre] Seminar: Just-In-Time Programming, Interfaces and Performance with Computers (Alberto de Campo, Barcelona)

l'ull cec info at lullcec.org
Mon Nov 21 08:15:49 CET 2011

25-27.11.2011

JUST-IN-TIME PROGRAMMING, INTERFACES AND PERFORMANCE WITH COMPUTERS, a
seminar with Alberto de Campo

For musicians and artists, the promise of computers as universal
machines has been that one can do anything one can imagine – given the
knowledge and time to realise one’s ideas. Many programming environments
seem to have steep learning curves when, in fact, there are quick
entries and strategies for making fast progress and developing good
personal performance instruments quickly.This seminar will explore the
possibilities of SuperCollider to create realtime performance systems
for computer music. We will work following the methodology of
just-in-time programming, which allows the modification of parts of an
algorithm while it is executing. Likewise, we will see how to integrate
our (JITlib-based) instruments with a wide variety of control devices in
a flexible, extensible and reliable manner. After each session, we will
evaluate the behaviour of our programs under live performance
conditions, in solo or ensemble arrangements.

Alberto de Campo studied classical composition, jazz guitar, and
electronic music in Austria and in the United States. After working at
UC Santa Barbara designing experimental software instruments with Curtis
Roads, he taught at Media Arts Academy Cologne, the Institute for
Electronic Music in Graz and at the Technical University of Berlin,
where he held the Edgard Varèse guest professorship for Electronic
Music. He later also held a professorship for Music Informatics at Music
University Düsseldorf and, since 2009, he is a Professor for Generative
Art/Computational Art at the Institute for Time-based Media, Arts
University Berlin (UdK). Alberto plays with powerbooks_unplugged (just
in time programming on mostly unamplified laptops) and also
improvisation groups with acoustic instruments such as Quiet Noise
Quartet, Syntopia Ensemble or with musicians like Elisabeth Harnik,
Mario de Vega, Hannes Hoelzl, Joker Nies and others. He makes electronic
music with BlippooHazard (four musicians playing the Blippoo Box, a
hardware synth by Rob Hordijk). Recent projects include creating
software instruments and sound installations with Florian Hecker, e.g.
‘No Night No Day’ at Biennale Venice, and AuditoryObjects (Bordeaux),
and collaborating with Marcus Schmickler and Carsten Goertz on Bonner
Durchmusterung, a project involving sonification und visualization of
astronomical data.

Time Schedule:
Friday 25.11.2010, 18:00-22.00h.
Saturday 26.11.2010, 11:00–14:00h, 16:00-19:00h
Sunday 27.11.2010, 11:00–14:00h, 16:00-19:00h

Location: Hangar. Passatge del Marquès de Santa Isabel, 40. Barcelona.
Metro Poble Nou.

Full program: [
http://lullcec.org/en/2011/tallers/programacio-just-in-time-interficies-i-interpretacio-amb-ordinadors/
]

This activity is organized by l’ull cec with the collaboration of
Consell Nacional de la Cultura i les Arts, Institut de Cultura de
Barcelona, Austrian Cultural Forum and Hangar.

soon

28.11.2011 Lecture: Making Micro-worlds – Models, systems, and interventions
            ESMUC. Edifici l’Auditori. Barcelona.

http://lullcec.org/2011/conferencies/construint-micro-mons-models-sistemes-i-intervencions/

28.11.2011 concert: Alberto de Campo / Miguel A. García
            Niu. Almogàvers, 208. Barcelona.

http://lullcec.org/2011/concerts/alberto-de-campo-miguel-a-garcia/

04.12.2011 Cap Sembrat VI. Moog. Arc del Teatre, 3. Barcelona.