[spectre] 11:11:11 UpStage Festival: catch the last 7 performances!

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Fri Nov 11 17:49:54 CET 2011

We're now two-thirds of the way through the 11:11:11 UpStage Festival
and all is going well! Once again the the work is diverse, exciting and
inspiring - created by innovative artists from a variety of disciplines
and of all ages; and the audience response is enthusiastic.

The third and final block of performances begins very soon, at 7pm
European time, which is 7am on Saturday in New Zealand. The schedule of
performances, on the front page of the UpStage web site
<http://upstage.org.nz/blog/>, includes time converter links so that you
can find your local time.

The performances in the final block are:

  * /Edward King <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#ek>/: Times
    Square on Christmas Eve. Did Edward King kill someone? Was the man
    his father? Do the Rockettes know the secret? Tune in for the avatar
    can-can and join in the Hallucinated Hallelujah Chorus, as Edward
    King asks: “Who am I?” By Marlena Corcoran (Munich/Venice) with
    Marischka Klinkhamer (Amsterdam), Vicki Smith (Aotearoa/New Zealand)
    and Ben Unterman (Vancouver).
  * /Is This On? <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#is_this_on>/:
    sympathising with the computer, unexpected love and jealousy between
    open source and proprietary software form the perfect setting for a
    geek tragedy. By Inge Hoonte & Birgit Bachler (the Netherlands) and
    students of the Networked Media department at the Piet Zwart
    Institute in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
  * /Magfalda meets the world in pieces
    <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#mag>/: an innocent and
    unpretentious journey to the (re)discovery of the world in pieces
    that surrounds us. By Gabriella Sacco (Amsterdam, Netherlands),
    Valentina Tibaldi (Torino, Italy).
  * /Property & Theft <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#pt>/: an
    Automated Confessional Service - a cross between a Catholic
    confession and an automated telephone payment service - this
    mechanical, comodified and malfunctioning Confessional Service
    elicits absurd public confessions of wrongdoing from participants,
    and then suggests appropriate penance for the participant to enact
    there and then. By Olivia Furber, Harry Giles, et al (Edinburgh,
    Scotland).
  * /Where are the clouds?
    <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#clouds>/: a dynamic,
    real-time exploration of the performance of remixed texts in online
    digital media. By Katarina DJ. Urosevic (Serbia), Francesco
    Buonaiuto (Italy) and The Levi at hans.
  * /Flat Earth <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#fe>/: a poetic
    journey on the source of ideas, and how we build ideas from images
    that come in our mind; playing with perception, the focus, the
    distraction of it, time, size and distance, the imagination, and the
    memory of things and scenes. By Petyr Veenstra and Floris Sirag (the
    Netherlands).
  * /String Games <http://upstage.org.nz/blog/?page_id=2652#wake>/:
    using the ancient practice of Whai (String Games) a navigational
    marker will be revealed. Audiences are encouraged to bring a 2 metre
    length of cord knotted into a single loop. By Vicki Smith and
    Hannah, Ellen and Joanne from Paparoa Range School (Aotearoa/NZ).

We hope you can join us for some of these great shows, and stick around
for the party afterwards!

Thanks to Creative New Zealand, CityLink and Auckland University of
Technology for their support of UpStage and the festival.

Helen Varley Jamieson & Vicki Smith
UpStage Festival Architects
http://www.upstage.org.nz