[spectre] BYOB Chicago: jonCates, Digital Arts Collector - jonCates (2011).

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Nov 4 13:00:36 CET 2011

Sorry for any cross posting...

BYOB Chicago: jonCates, Digital Arts Collector - jonCates (2011).

in the performance/projection "jonCates, Digital Arts Collector" i had
same day Business Cards (1) printed which read:

jonCates
Digital Arts Collector

INSTITVTE FOR THE ANIMATED GIF
jonCates, Founder && Archivist
Special Collections department
instanigif.tumblr.com

the Business Card feels to me like an old-fashioned format for
interpersonal interactions, like an antique form of communication or
rather (self) promotion from an earlier era. at a recent conference (2)
i was often asked for my business card (which i do not normally carry or
even maintain current versions of) and presented w/a range of business
cards from academics and artists. i found receiving these cards both
novel and strange. this experience combined w/my invitation to
participate in this most recent BYOB Chicago iteration of the ongoing
series/platform. the BYOB Worldwide project initiated by Rafaël
Rozendaal relies on Salon-style 'hanging' of the projections, social
networks and networking and recent Web 2.0 technologies/platforms (such
as tumblr, which the BYOB Worldwide site exists on and through). this
intersection of very recent technologies and the turn of the second to
last century approaches (late 1800's/early 1900's Academic Art
exhibition formats) strikes me as similarly novel and strange, like
business cards from New Media Artists and academics...

more...
http://www.furtherfield.org/blog/joncates/byob-chicago-joncates-digital-arts-collector-joncates-2011

Furtherfield's Community Blog
http://www.furtherfield.org/blogs