[spectre] DE_ZER Vol. 4

Domenico Quaranta qrndnc at yahoo.it
Fri May 27 16:14:08 CEST 2011

DE_ZER Vol. 4

The DEberlusconiZER is proud to announce DE_ZER Vol. 4, the fourth of
a series of exhibitions in which some contemporary artists are invited
to give a new meaning to the informational space “liberated” from the
unwieldy presence of the Italian Prime Minister.

After three group shows (DE_ZER Vol. 1, DE_ZER Vol. 2 and DE_ZER Vol.
3), the DEberlusconiZER will host two solo shows, in order to allow a
better understanding of two very peculiar projects: La Merde, by Luca
Bolognesi (May 27 – June 5, 2011) and Always on My Mind, by Salvatore
Iaconesi (June 6 – June 15, 2011).

Both the works – very different in terms of content and inspiration –
challenge the technological and conceptual infrastructure provided by
the DEberlusconiZER. Ironically playing with the workings and
intentions of the project, Luca Bolognesi chose to refuse submitting
any alternative content to the original images and texts. The level
interposed between the censored content and the spectator is
transparent, images and texts are still the ones the DEberlusconiZER
wanted to set us free from. The program becomes a celibatory machine
that fails its target. The caption you are reading, with the work's
title and explanation, becomes the only way to identify the work
itself. And yet, the title La merde (according to the artist, provided
by an online text generator in its French release) proves that
Bolognesi's contribution is far for being nihilistic, defeatist and
polemical against the possibilities provided by its host body.
Whatever it's meaning is, and despite its invisibility, La Merde ends
up creating a strong, unprecedented association between images.

After Bolognesi's inexorable void, the DEberlusconiZER will host
Iaconesi's lavish filling. Sneer and scatology can be found as well in
Always on My Mind,  a work that we are not going to describe here in
order to let you enjoy the biting taste of the surprise we had when we
first tested it. Save the date: June 6, 2011.

The DEberlusconiZER is a web tool that replaces the images and words
related to the Italian Prime Minister. The software subverts the media
machine created by one of the most controversial figures in Italian
politics by reclaiming the space devoted to him and using it for new
porpuses.

The DEberlusconiZER is a project by Elisa Giardina Papa, Fabrizio
Giardina Papa, Giovanni Salerno and Floriano Lapolla.

The artists have been selected and invited by art critic Domenico
Quaranta.

info at de-zer.com
www.de-zer.com

---