[spectre] Brighton Digital Festival - 1-30 September - 1st announcement

Honor Harger honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Wed May 25 10:28:07 CEST 2011

Dear spectres,

I just wanted to give you some advanced notice
about a new community-run festival we're helping
to put together here in Brighton.

I hope some of you will be able to join us for
some of the exciting exhibitions, performances,
conferences and workshops we're planning this
September, which will bring together leading
international artists such as Blast Theory,
semiconductor, Ben Frost and Random Dance,
alongside thinkers and storytellers like Don
Norman (Design of Everyday Things) and Matthew
Sheret (last.fm).

There's an introduction to a few of the projects
we're presenting below, and we'll be releasing
more information in the coming weeks and months.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

BRIGHTON'S DIGITAL FESTIVAL
01-30 September 2011
A month long celebration of digital culture
http://brightondigitalfestival.co.uk

Brighton's digital festival will be a month-long
celebration of digital culture happening in
September 2011.
The month-long season of exhibitions,
performances, meet-ups, workshops and outdoor
events run alongside Brighton's iconic digital
design conferences.

Featuring leading international artists,
designers, dancers, technologists, thinkers,
filmmakers and makers, the programme is being put
together by a diverse range of designers, tech
companies, arts organisations and individuals who
are passionate about digital culture.

Below is a little taster of what we're planning.
There's lots more to come so keep an eye on
http://brightondigitalfestival.co.uk or follow
@BrightonDigital on Twitter for updates.

dConstruct
02 SEPTEMBER
An annual, internationally renowned conference
gathering some of the brightest minds in the
design community. This year speakers include Don
Norman, Stephanie Rieger and Matthew Sheret.
Organised by Clearleft
http://2011.dconstruct.org

Maker Faire
03 SEPTEMBER
Join makers, crafters and inventors and interact
with fascinating creations, home-spun robotics,
garden shed inventions, circuit boards and the
occasional fireball. Learn to solder or make a
musical instrument at this hands-on day of
creative invention and technological discovery
for all ages.
Supported by Lighthouse
http://www.makerfairebrighton.com/makers/

A Machine to See With by Blast Theory
SELECTED DATES FROM 01-30 SEPTEMBER
Become the star of your own heist movie as
Brighton's internationally renowned digital
artists Blast Theory put you in the heat of the
action. This 'locative cinema project' for
pedestrians and their mobile phones was a major
hit at this year's Sundance Film Festival and
we're delighted to be bringing it to Brighton for
the digital festival. Co-produced with Lighthouse.
http://www.blasttheory.co.uk/bt/work_amachinetoseewith.html

Improving Reality
23 SEPTEMBER
A one-day conference that shows how artists and
designers are working with digital technologies
to radically re-engineer the world in which we
exist. Thinkers and makers from the technology,
film, education and art worlds will explore how
the current generation of makers is not only
attempting to augment reality, but rather to go
one step further, and improve reality.
Organised by Lighthouse, it features Julian
Oliver, Tassos Stevens (Agency of Coney), Matt
Adams (Blast Theory), Alice Taylor (Makieworld),
Matt Hanson and many many others.

- FAR by Random Dance
26 SEPTEMBER
Wayne McGregor's Random Dance is a truly
ground-breaking dance company, incorporating
digital technologies into live choreography. This
all embracing approach has led to a string of
truly unique works. FAR is is danced by an
ensemble of ten incredible performers and set to
a new, haunting score by critically acclaimed
composer, Ben Frost.
http://www.brightondome.org/events/Far/4228

Šand more!

This is just a taste of the festival. We're
currently planning more exhibitions, meet-ups,
BarCamps and outdoor events.

If you've got ideas for events or projects you
want to organise for Brighton Digital Festival,
please email digitalbrighton at gmail.com

Brighton Digital Festival is coordinated by
Lighthouse (with lots and lots of help from a
wide array of individuals and organisations).

Supported by Arts Council England.
--
Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Tel: +44 1273 647197
email: honor at lighthouse.org.uk

Find us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts