[spectre] juxtaposing

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Sun May 22 17:16:09 CEST 2011

it's not just about how to be a good remote participant, but also how to
be a good host for online participants. too often, in my experience, a
stream is set up & then left, & those of us online feel like we're
peering in through the window. if the only people chatting are other
online participants, then it can feel quite disconnected from the event.

when things have worked well for me (from both sides) there's been
someone at the physical location who acts as an intermediary -
explaining things that aren't obvious or clear from the stream,
facilitating questions, & generally ensuring that the online
participants are included as much as possible.

h : )

> IMHO, there needs to be a discussion about how to be a good remote
> participant...  How to build the focus, concentration, attention to
> project through sensually attenuated network protocols and reach that
> distant Other in order for something to actually happen....
>
> etc...
>
> jh
>

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> John Hopkins, Researcher
> Centre for Creative Arts
> La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria 3086
> http://neoscenes.net/
> http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/
> chazhop at gmail.com; skype: chazhopkins
> AU Mobile - +61 (0)40 696 4610
> US cell - +1 928 308 6466

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz