[spectre] Domenico Quaranta: In Your Computer

Domenico Quaranta qrndnc at yahoo.it
Thu May 5 17:21:03 CEST 2011

Domenico Quaranta, In Your Computer, LINK Editions, Brescia 2011.
Soft cover, 180 pp, English, € 12.00, ISBN: 978-1-4467-6021-5
Buy it on Lulu.com (€ 9.60) – http://www.lulu.com/product/a-copertina-morbida/in-your-computer/15530116
Free download: http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/in-your-computer/15530117

The LINK Center for the Arts of the Information Age is proud to
announce the publication of the book In Your Computer, by Domenico
Quaranta.

The book is a collection of texts written by Domenico Quaranta between
2005 and 2010 for exhibition catalogues, printed magazines and online
reviews: a pocket version of what the author would save from the
universal flood, in a world without computers. It documents most of
the fields of research he has focused on critically: from Net Art to
Software Art and videogames, from biotechnologies to the debate around
curating and the positioning of New Media Art in the contemporary
landscape, and back to Net Art again.

This itinerary is traced through a selection of essays, monographic
texts and interviews with artists and curators, in no particular
order: from Eva and Franco Mattes to Casey Reas, from UBERMORGEN.COM
to Oliver Laric, from Cory Arcangel to Tale of Tales, from Jon
Ippolito to Gazira Babeli.

As the author writes in the introduction: «We are in the midst of a
major change. At the end of the process, not only the way we live,
work, travel and communicate, but also the political and economical
structures and the social organization we are used to will probably be
fundamentally different from how they are now. In art, this change
will be complete when the way we make, circulate and understand art is
completely different from the way we do it now; and when the way we
understand the difference between copies and original and between art
and non-art will have adapted to the new models created by the
information age. The most we can do now is to take our time, adapt to
our new living conditions, be aware of the process going on and look
to the most radical propositions around for signals of what is to
come. In the awareness that we probably don't have to look that far:
these signals are already here, in our computers.»

Domenico Quaranta is an art critic and curator. His previous
publications include Gamescenes. Art in the Age of Videogames (2006,
co-edited with Matteo Bittanti) and Media, New Media, Postmedia
(2010). He curated various shows, including Holy Fire. Art of the
Digital Age (2008, with Yves Bernard) and Playlist. Playing Games,
Music, Art (2009 - 2010). He is the founding Director of the MINI
Museum of XXI Century Arts and a co-founder of the Link Center for the
Arts of the Information Age. http://domenicoquaranta.com

The LINK Center for the Arts of the Information Age is a multi-
functional center promoting artistic research with new technologies
and critical reflections on the core issues of the information age: it
organizes workshops, seminars, conferences and shows, publishes books,
forges partnerships with private and institutional partners and
networks with similar organizations worldwide. For more information: http://www.linkartcenter.eu/

---

Domenico Quaranta

web. http://domenicoquaranta.com/