[spectre] Candide, why are you asking?

oliverodomenico at libero.it oliverodomenico at libero.it
Mon Mar 21 06:30:12 CET 2011

La Luna Gallery in Borgo San Dalmazzo is pleased to invite you to an exhibition by Domenico Olivero entitled "Candido, ma che domande fai?” (Candide, why are you asking?)

which will take place on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 17:00 in Via Roma 92, Borgo San Dalmazzo (Cuneo).

Anticipating the event, a short lecture about the construction of the exhibition will be held at 16.00 in the Council Hall in the town of Borgo San Dalmazzo.

The artist Domenico Olivero, has created this art event for an exhibition whose inspiration comes from the book "Candide, or Optimism," written by Voltaire in 1759.

The art project was created by re-arranging the entire space of the gallery, transforming it into a unique art work that draws inspiration from the text of the book by Voltaire. This creation is inspired by the randomness of events and their individual perception.

The works propose to create a continuous solicitation of ideas and thoughts that refer to our daily life but also the many other cultural stimuli of our time.

The exhibition is striking for the variety of the type of pieces, created by the artist who is inspired by the suggestion in the different chapters of the book.

The artistic project presents a contemporary sense of tension and is interpreted for today’s times.

The art works are developed in a variety of forms; drawings, images; photos, material objects and reflections that retain their original form and particular details.

    Presentation

"Candido, ma che domande fai?” (Candide, why are you asking?) Is an exhibition where the words take shape so producing a sense of optimistic hope.

A series of artworks that stimulate individual perceptions and reactions in the viewer creating infinite variables, new stories, and pleasant changes.

An event that was created by the magic of a fantasy storys suchas  "Candide, or optimism " written by Voltaire in 1759, as true today as it was in the past.

    Event Data

Title exhibition: "Candido, ma che domande fai?” (Candide, why are you asking?)

Artist: Domenico Olivero.

Curator: Tarcisio Dutto

Location: La Luna Art Gallery

Address: Via Roma 92 12011 Borgo San Dalmazzo (Cuneo) Italy

Opening hours: April 16 to 23, 2011, Friday 16-19, Saturday 10.30-13 / 16-19, Sunday 10.30 to 12.30 or by appointment, free admission.

Website: http://candidomachedomandefai.blogspot.com/

Contact: 0039 339 7108501, 0039 347 3268116; 0039.328.2159521

e-mail: info at artgallerylaluna.com;

    Text curator: Tarcisio Dutto

Where there is life there is hope; and optimism where there is no doubt.

Certainly our dear Candide wouldn’t be so transparent if he didn’t continue to be drawn into one adventure after another, jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

There arises therefore a doubt that he could also be naive, but he’s certainly very lucky or maybe he has simply made a deal with the devil.

What a strange person this lucky orphan is who goes from one disaster to another.

He was similar the Aurelio in the Pirandello’s novel “La patente”. A man who embodies the personifies is a human condition.

The artist has begun construction of a artistic event which begins with the text, but then he transforms the whole event with a single art work.

It is said that the question of understanding takes a form, created by small changes in existing structure or ones that have been created to produce evolving sensations.

the work that the artist has produced becomes a series of new thoughts, running across physical experiences, conveying and sharing all manner of ideas, and emotions.

    Short interview with the artist's curator Tarcisio Dutto.

Tarcisio Dutto: Isn’t Candide’s book, written in the  1759, to remote in past time?

Domenico Olivero: The fact that it was written in the past is a confirmation of how important things were written and and so becomes a contemporary  narrative.

I was given the book many years ago, as then a gift.

It is a beautiful edition illustrated by Paul Klee. I read it with great pleasure and joy.

The character, Candide, has many similarities to me and my life, maybe I’m a little more cynical in my approach to the world.

I really like his candour and his serenity in living incredible events.

His approach to the events always to know everything with continual resulted in a worrisome situation but above all that there remained his desire understanding.

TD: are the artistic works you made, directly inspired by the text?

DO: Not really. Some deal in a direct way, but most have taken their form during the period of reading and then become an overview in the fullness of time.

They are also open to a certain degree of randomness, which is the text itself.

Surely the stimuli are born from reading, but then they are freed from the need to try to for a explanation to convey an emotional perception on several levels.

TD: How was show developed?

DO: I thought of the gallery space as one work with different art works placed in it.

They are related to each other, each art work and all the space.

Then I thought about assembling the entire project in a web of relationships, where everything works together and within the perceived idea.