[NetBehaviour] [spectre] looks like Slovenia might be next

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 12:21:01 CEST 2011

But I think this is the state subvencionaed cultural model which is being
contested in the newliberal system. The state as donor and keeper of a
cultural status being paid by taxes is being substituted for the market and
the idea only the culture who is able to be soid iin a open market can
survive.
A kind "survival of the fit" in the cultural plane. Very narrowmionded and
dangerous, only mainstream culture would survive.
Ana

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:17 AM, simon <swht at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> respectrespectrespectre...
>
> reading with interest the causes and claims, from Nederlands, to Brasil,
> Slovenia, England, cutting funding for the arts and culture, I would like
> humbly to submit another explanation, other, that is, than economic
> expediency, or ignorance and gross (and net) stupidity on the part of
> policy-makers. The state is scared.
>
> I would suggest that it is the institutional throat that is being cut,
> having seen a similar culling of institutions in NZ: cutting funding goes
> together with removing the autonomy of arts and cultural institutions, same
> as universities - any erstwhile politically autonomous institution, and
> therefore locus of critique. But when I say critique, I mean at the level of
> a power, which is that of institutions, of the power.
>
> Where is the undermining of the power actually occurring that governments
> might be frightened? At a wholly other level. Yet the muting of
> institutional critique can be seen as a reaction to certain events, the
> recent financial crisis among them, the ongoing crisis around energy
> consumption/production - and its economics - included. I suggest this muting
> to be in reaction and to entail two actions on the part of states and
> nations: cutting funding to and removing autonomy from educational, arts and
> cultural institutions.
>
> Best,
>
> Simon Taylor
>
> www.squarewhiteworld.com
> www.brazilcoffee.co.nz

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci