[spectre] Here We Are Now // Screening // Brussels 13.10.2010

Stoffel Debuysere stoffel.debuysere at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 10:32:24 CEST 2010

Here We Are Now

13 October 2010, 21:00. Beursschouwburg, Brussels.
A Courtisane event, in the context of the S.H.O.W. (Shit Happens on
Wednesdays) series. Free entrance, plus food & drinks & Courtisane DJs.

To what extent can we still make a difference between “public” and
“private”? According to philosopher Jean Baudrillard, “the one is no
longer a spectacle, the other no longer a secret”. Now that the most
intimate details of our lives are thoughtlessly shared on the internet
and the media, in order to feed an endless, compulsive loop of
information, participation and circulation, it seems like ever more
constraints and obstacles are being annulled. Surrounded and obsessed
by a world of images, overcome by a gnawing insecurity, we submit
ourselves to a regime of ultimate visibility. We are well aware of
being seen, followed and remembered, but that is precisely what pushes
us to all kinds of forms of disclosure, confession and
“selfploitation”. The mediatised gaze of the other, at the same time
disturbing and stimulating in its elusiveness and omnipresence, has
become the paramount point of reference for our obsessive search for
identity and belonging. We show ourselves in order to become
ourselves, while we irrevocably disappear behind our images. The
uncanny transit zone where intimacy merges into transparency is the
central theme of this programme. Four recent video works, each in
their own way, explore the contemporary conjunction of media and
subjectivity, in which it seems no longer possible to maintain an
unequivocal relationship between watching and showing, subject and
object, seeing and being seen.

With works by Mohamed Bourouissa, Olivia Rochette & Gerard-Jan Claes,
Ruti Sela & Maayan Amir, Shelly Silver

more info: www.courtisane.be / www.diagonalthoughts.com