[spectre] Pixelache 2011 - Open Call: map me if you will + Computational Photography

Juha Huuskonen juhuu at juhuu.nu
Wed Oct 6 08:08:23 CEST 2010

This is an open call for two Pixelache Helsinki 2011 programme
sections: map me if you will and Computational Photography.

The deadline for proposals is *Monday 8 November 2010*.

More information at: http://www.pixelache.ac/helsinki/festival-2011/

* * *

Open Call: map me if you will

Pixelache Festival 2011 looks for works that collect, transform, and
make use of the data of everyday life in unseen artistic ways.

By the mere fact of living an ordinary modern urban life, we produce a
huge amount of information about ourselves that we are hardly aware
of, nor we usually see or make use of. Through this data we become
traceable, accessible, predictable – and clearly enough – ideal
clients of information-based capitalism. So if we cannot prevent the
production and the corporate or governmental use of this data without
changing our lifestyle completely, how can we at least benefit from it
ourselves? How can we share this information with the society at large
or the community we live in to our common advantage? And how could we
even build systems ourselves that collect data for our own purposes?

Concurrently, the complexity of human actions and interactions
increases with the accumulation and growing capacity of the digital
tools we are using. We may therefore better understand what's going on
around us if we find ways to visualise and interpret the data which we
produce. How can our processes and the correlations of our actions be
represented in meaningful and inspiring ways? Are there inventive ways
to visualise/represent data that go beyond the pure digital and turn
abstract data into concrete entities/objects?

'map me if you will' is a programme devised by guest curator Susanne
Jaschko. One or two new artworks will be created by invited artists.
This open call is for works which will either be presented
individually or as a part of a the 'map me if you will' seminar. You
can also propose workshops, performances and other related programmes.

* * *

Open Call: Computational Photography - the return of the unexpected

In computational photography, camera and picture-taking are perceived
as concepts that can be modified in do-it-yourself spirit and are
therefore open to discussion, redefinition, and hacking. This artistic
approach to the field differs from how the term is understood in the
photographic industry where the focus is on features that serve
typical photographic purposes.

The digital camera has become increasingly a tool for programming
instead of merely recording images. Cameras are also equipped with
sensors that retrieve location and position data thus giving rise to
expanding the visual realm to location-aware, multisensory and
embodied expression. It is still possible to just 'take pictures' but
the means of visual expression go beyond what is commonly understood
as photography.

The work of an artist takes place in close connection to the digital
medium and algorithms that are usually not as well-controlled as
conventional photographer's tools, leaving plenty of room for playful
and unexpected results. The partly artificial or manipulated nature of
the resulting images is in many cases visible - a seemingly faithful
representation of reality is abandoned and our aesthetic
preconceptions are challenged. The Internet can be seen both as a
giant repository of source images, and a platform for shared projects
and shared code.

This open call is for artworks of computational photography in the
broad meaning of the term. They can be still or moving images,
installations, online projects; or devices or social processes used to
create new visual languages. The programme section is organised by
guest curator Markku Nousiainen and in collaboration with Aalto
University Media Factory. The advisory board for this programme
section consists of Antti Huittinen, Jussi Ängeslevä and Miska Knapek.

* * *