[spectre] transmediale.11: Reminder / Dec 20th last call for Early Bird Passes!

stephen kovats kovats at transmediale.de
Sun Dec 19 23:51:33 CET 2010

transmediale.11 |  1 - 6 feb 2011
RESPONSE : ABILITY
festival for art and digital culture berlin - #tm11

Dear friends,

apologies if you've already received this info via other channels, but I'd like to send you a little reminder that reduced Early Bird Passes to transmediale and club transmediale / CTM are only available til tomorrow, Dec 20th! I've included a brief program interview and a preview of the opening feature Derrick de Kerckhove introducing Angel_F along with some of the great performances and openings that we'll be launching that evening. We're also now in the process of getting Marshall McLuhan's original 1954 COUNTERBLAST manifesto off to print! There's only a limited run of 300 of this special edition available for sale, so if you are interested in having one, please see the info below to pre-oder order them! Also ... don't forget to vote on your favourite nominee for the new Open Web Award!

** Last Call for Early Bird Passes! **

Take advantage of the festival Early Bird Festival Passes! A discount of 15% for transmediale.11 Festival Passes as well as for the combination passes (Kombi-Pass) for transmediale.11 and CTM.11 (club transmediale) is available by booking online until the extended deadline of December 20th. You can order your Early Bird Passes at:
> http://www.transmediale.de/festival/tickets

** Marshall McLuhan 'COUNTERBLAST 1954' transmediale special edition ... Pre-Order Now! **

Kicking off the Marshall McLuhan Centennial transmediale presents one of the Canadian  media philosopher's most radical yet relatively under-explored works,  COUNTERBLAST. Two very different versions of this text exist, the full  1969 edition produced in collaboration with Harley Parker, and the  biting never-before published manifesto McLuhan distributed as a  hand-made 'zine' in 1954. On the occasion of the 'McLuhan in Europe  2011' network initiative, with the kind permission of The Estate of  Corinne McLuhan and in collaboration with the Gingko Press (Hamburg)  transmediale will publish a special hardcover 'limited edition' facsimile of the original 1954 'COUNTERBLAST'. Featuring an introduction by McLuhan biographer W. Terrence Gordon and an afterword by literary scholar Elena Lamberti this exclusive edition will be available only via transmediale!

This limited special edition 'COUNTERBLAST 1954' can now be pre-ordered via email at  <publications at transmediale.de>. The publication will available for pick-up at the main transmediale.11 venue HKW, or can be mailed. Postal delivery will  incur standard national or international shipping costs. Information on forms of payment, reserving and collecting your copy will be provided upon placement of your order.

Price (netto): 20,-- Euro
ISBN: 978-1-58423-456-2
Hardcover, sewn, 8.5 x 11 inches. 32 pages

** transmediale.11 Programme Preview **

In the first week of February, Berlin's House of World Cultures (HKW) will play host to transmediale.11 RESPONSE:ABILITY!

Presenting a dynamic programme of cutting edge artworks, breathtaking live performances and leading thinkers from around the world transmediale.11 addresses the ways in which our digital culture is radically redefining our physical presence and the ways in which we interact as interdependent global communities. By looking at the emergent forms of bio-political, economic and affective dimensions of a society increasingly manifesting itself live and online transmediale.11 reaches beyond the Web 2.0 era, examining the Internet in terms of the abilities and potentials available to its users, not only to participate but to actively shape it as contemporary society's central zone of inquiry, creative and cultural development - while pushing the need to defend it from restrictive political and legal intervention. Particularly now, as we become faced with the mounting post-WikiLeak scenarios of irrational net restrictions and the threats of self-censorship, asserting that the 'problem' is not the net, but (in this case) the notoriously irresponsible handling of data and personal communications by governments and numerous proprietary interests becomes more urgent than ever.

** Opening transmediale.11 - Feb 01, 19.00 Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin **

For the first time at transmediale a non-human digital personality will be participating! Special opening guest Derrick de Kerckhove will introduce his son, Angel_F (aka Pinocchio 2.0), a boisterous digitally conceived spyware entity born through the technological-sensual relationship between himself and Biodoll. Drawing reference to Marshall McLuhan's assertion that we would become extensions our own machines and vice-versa Angel_F will be seeking the archetypal myths of our relationships with technology. With a German premiere of 'DUST' by Herman Kolgen, a poetic reflection will be drawn to our digital culture, inspired through one of the first works of collaborative electronic art, Man Ray's photo 'Élevage de poussière' of Marcel Duchamp's Large Glass. transmediale.11's zones of artistic and critical inquiry, the Open Zone and HacKaWay will open with labs, installations, actions and the inauguration of festival bureaus by Heath Bunting and Christine Lahr, and a performance of 'Latent Image Protocol' by Paul Vanouse who will prepare the first of his unique DNA fingerprint samples. In the studio gallery, transmediale hosts 'The Secrets Trilogy' the 4th Labor Berlin merging Reynold Reynold's 'Secret Life', 'Secret Machine' and 'Six Easy Pieces' in a complex work that twists the notions of time and space - the imperceptible conditions that question the nature of our liveness within the cacophony of technological life.

Here you can find a preliminary programme overview:
> http://www.transmediale.de/content/transmediale11-programme-preview<

Of the transmediale.11 programme of ca. 150 events and projects some of the major thematic nodes and highlights include ...

transmediale's The Open Zone, curated by Ela Kagel and manifested through open studios, challenging workshops and temporary project offices run by leading artists and international experts from the open technology and critical art fields such as Ursula Endlicher, Kelly Sutton, Heath Bunting, Christopher 'moot' Poole, Mushon Zer-Aviv, Elizabeth Stark, Peter Sunde, Les Liens Invisibles and Berlin's Open Design City probes and expands our abilities to respond to the volatility and constant flux of digital life. Helping along the way will be Angel_F, the digitally conceived spyware entity born through the technological-sensual relationship between Biodoll and Derrick de Kerckhove.
> http://www.transmediale.de/content/preview-open-zone

Joining the BODY:RESPONSE conference curated by Markus Huber renowned digital media activists and researchers including Franco 'BIFO' Berardi, Maurizio Lazzarato,Tim Etchells, Carolyn Guertin, Jens Hauser, Marie-Luise Angerer, Tapio Mäkelä,Verena Kuni, Roberto Esposito, Judith Revel, Hans-Jörg Rheinberger, Eric Kluitenberg, Adrian Heathfield, Franca Formenti (Biodoll), Lynn Hershman and Mark Hansen will be leading a debate into the impact of the hybrid, simultaneous and transformative status of digital liveness on the concepts of identity and physical autonomy within the world of social media and the emergent psycho-political power configurations of the 'born-digital' era. In a special evening performative lecture, Vilem Flusser Theory Award nominee Jordan Crandall will present his politically charged urban surveillance, and augmented locationing technologies research project *EVENT, AGENCY, AND PROGRAM*.
> http://www.transmediale.de/content/conference-preview-bodyresponse

SyncExistence features eleven film and video programmes curated by Marcel Schwierin comprising 58 historical and contemporary moving image works from 18 countries. This year's main focus is a reflection on the vital ways in which 20th century cinema – through its editing techniques and new visual culture – contributed to promoting the sense of growing simultaneity, ubiquity and acceleration which the Internet has since increased exponentially. Additional highlights include a focus on the first live television broadcasts, specials on Lynn Hershman Leeson, a leading pioneer of interactive live media art, Ho Tzu Nyen, the transmediale Award Nominee from Singapore, and the second edition of theArabShorts project.
> http://www.transmediale.de/content/preview-film-video-programme-syncexistence

This year’s performance programme LIVE:RESPONSE curated by Sandra Naumann hovers at the interface between the real world and the media sphere, between liveness and reproduction, between virtual and physical. At three locations, in the majestic House of World Cultures Auditorium, on the Café Stage and at the HacKaWay zone performers including Fair Use, Rosa Menkman, Tina Tonagel, Preslav Literary School, Eosin,Dorothy of the Day and Tour de Vinyl will test and weave experimental arrangements throughout the festival programme. Featured are two special 'double-header' performance concert nights, on Wed. Feb 02 with Cécile Babiole & Vincent Goudard's DONJON andPeople Like Us with Genre Collage, and on Fri Feb 04 Herman Kolgen's INJECT and Daito Manabe's Face Visualizer piece will square off.
> http://www.transmediale.de/content/performances-preview-liveresponse

Many more featured projects, workshops and satellite events to be announced shortly!
For more information please consult http://www.transmediale.de/, and follow the development of the program, watch for workshop and participatory project calls and tell your friends by following us on twitter (#tm11) or facebook.

We wish everybody a happy holiday season, great new years ... and looking forward to seeing you at transmediale.11,

Stephen Kovats

artistic director
transmediale.11 |  1 - 6 feb 2011
RESPONSE : ABILITY
festival for art and digital culture berlin - #tm11

Festival Early Bird Passes on Sale Now til Dec. 20!
http://www.transmediale.de/info/tickets

Open Web Award - Vote and comment on your favourite work:
https://www.drumbeat.org/open-web-award-finalists-voting

transmediale festival archive 1997 - 2009 BETA online!
http://archive.transmediale.de/

Celebrate Marshall McLuhan's 100th in 2011!
http://www.transmediale.de/en/beyond/McLuhan-2011

Collaborative Futures Book 2 out now!
http://collaborative-futures.org/

klosterstr. 68 - 10179 berlin - germany
fon +49 30 24749 761 fax +49 30 24749 763
http://www.transmediale.de
http://twitter.com/transmediale
http://www.facebook.com/transmediale

kulturprojekte berlin gmbh
aufsichtsratsvorsitzender volker heller
geschäftsführer moritz van dülmen
amtsgericht berlin charlottenburg, HRB 41312 B