[spectre] (fwd) Lighthouse debates: Surveillance, internet freedom & beyond

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Thu Apr 29 08:28:38 CEST 2010

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:09:13 +0100
From: Honor Harger <honor at va.com.au>

Dear Spectres,

Just a short reminder about our two political debates this week at
Lighthouse, that both feature some familiar faces to the Spectre
community.

Tonight, Manu Luksch is with us to present Beyond Surveillance:
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/surveillance.htm

Tomorrow night, we will be debating one of the most controversial
laws to be based on internet freedom in Europe - the UK's Digital
Economy Act:

- Debating the Digital Economy Act
Thursday 29 April
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/digitaleconomyact.htm

Matt Adams (Blast Theory) is amongst the participants of that event.

Both events will be documented, and made available on the Lighthouse website.

For those near Brighton, I hope to see you here.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger
Director
Lighthouse

LIGHTHOUSE DEBATES - APRIL 2010
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/whatson/events.htm

A week before the UK General Election, Lighthouse is staging two
events which explore some of the most controversial and pressing
issues which face contemporary civil society.  On Wednesday 28 April,
we will explore how the UK has evolved into one of the most
surveilled nations in the world, and how artists are reacting to this
process. "Beyond Surveillance", lead by Manu Luksch, will show how
artists are critiquing the culture and technology of surveillance.

On Thursday, we will focus on the contentious Digital Economy Act,
the wide-ranging piece of media and technology reform, passed into
law by the Government this April.  The Act has been criticised by
some commentators for it's approach to copyright infringement, which
many say threatens free expression, whilst supporters of the law say
it is vital for protecting Britain's creative industries.  What is
your view?  What do the provisions of this far-reaching law means for
you?  Come and join us at Lighthouse on Thursday 29 April to air your
views.