[spectre] transmission problem solved / spectre admins note

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Fri Apr 16 14:43:46 CEST 2010

dear spectre subscribers,

we had some transmission problems in the last days due to some
technical changes which i don't really understand but trust have been
resolved now.

please, note: if your messages don't get through to the list, they
most likely do not apply to the (strict but healthy) rules that we
stick with on this mailing list and that are diligently applied by
the list software, 'Mailman':

- don't use formatted text, send *plain text* only (this is sometimes
difficult today, since a lot of automatic formatting goes on
everywhere; but if you dig into the preferences of your mail
programme you will find that it is actually possible to select the
option)

- don't send attachments (put what you want to convey into the body
of the message as plain text)

- message have to be less than 40 K

- post from an address that is subscribed to the list

- post to 'spectre' in the TO: or the CC: field (not BCC:) and don't
post to too many other recipients at the same time (if you do,
Mailman thinks you don't really _mean_ us on spectre - instead, we
like to get a 'personally addressed message from you ;-)

if you still fail after carefully applying these rules, please, look
into your Spam-folder and check whether you have received
Bounce-messages from the spectre-mailman which explain why the
message has been rejected (or is being held for moderation which inke
and i are finding less and less time for, unfortunately).

please, write to us directly at <spectre-owner at mikrolisten.de> if you
still cannot get through. truth is that dear Mailman sometimes does
strange and unexplainable things which we then try to work around.

and then, please, also remember that this is a channel which we have
been keeping open for close to nine years now on a voluntary basis;
we value all the varied contributions and the steady flow a news from
the art, media and culture world. years ago, this was a cosy
community of a couple of hundred people, many of whom knew each other
personally. now there are over 1600 subscribers (many of whom are no
doubt filtering into long-forgotten and never-seen dead mail boxes
)-; but we still keep a rather fond and personal attitude towards the
list. this is just an old-fashioned mailing list, first conceived as
the 'syndicate' list in 1996.

best regards,

andreas & inke