[spectre] PIXXELPOINT 2009 CALL FOR ARTWORKS

Domenico Quaranta quaranta.domenico at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:42:58 CEST 2009

Dears,

These are the very last days to apply for the Pixxelpoint 2009 call
for artworks. The application can be sent either via e-mail (to the
address pixxelpoint2009 at gmail.com) or via traditional mail to the
following address:

Pixxelpoint
Kulturni dom Nova Gorica
Bevkov trg 4
SI 5000 Nova Gorica
Slovenia

These are the guidelines for this festival edition:

We keep on talking about “new media”, while in actually fact these
media are anything but new. The Net is twenty years old, if we start
counting from the advent of the Web, forty if we start from Arpanet.
Spacewar!, the first videogame ever, is more or less the same age.
Virtual worlds are the updated, lighter versions of a technology
acclaimed as “the future” when Second Life programmers were still in
diapers; social networks are the bastard sons of Fidonet. As for the
computer, it is younger than Lord Byron, but certainly not than his
daughter Ada.

Once upon a time there was the electronic frontier, an abandonware
myth which was able to regenerate itself thanks to the continuous
advance of the frontier itself. Like in space, in technological
progress there’s no ocean at the end of the trip. But, unlike the
space race, the race to the next technology is endless, and
endlessness is boring.

Yet, while we got used to innovation and the day-after rhetorics, we
have never got used to the loss of the past. We look back to what was
new yesterday and is trash today, and we feel a deep sense of
nostalgia. Commodore 64 and 386dx. The first Apple Macintosh. Bulletin
Board Systems. Animated gifs. Glittering images. Web buttons. Super
Mario. Doom. Napster. Jennicam. Mosaic. ASCII art. MIDIs and MOOs. Not
to mention VHS, vinyl, audio cassettes, cathode tubes, portable
radios, faxes. It is the kind of nostalgia that we feel for a relative
who died young, once the pain abates: you are left wondering what kind
of man he would have been. Or for someone that, once grown up, does
not live up to his or her promise. Sometimes nostalgia develops into
historical research, and becomes media archeology. We don’t look for
the technologies that we once loved, but those we have never seen in
action.

But in both the cases, in the artistic field this sentimental look at
the past is producing some brand new, interesting stuff. Reviving dead
media and obsolete technologies, retrieving and rekindling their
aesthetics, making them do things they were never expected to do, and
telling stories about them with other means is proving to be a sound
artistic strategy – undoubtedly more so than “the exploration of the
artistic potential of new media” which became the mantra of most New
Media Art. This happens because, when you give up on the rhetorics of
novelty, what is left on stage is the human element: the man of the
past who domesticated the media, put his own life into them and was
changed by them; and the man of the present, who looks back on that
past with the same sentiment as the venerable Sergio Leone looked to
the West.

On the occasion of its 10th Birthday, Pixxelpoint festival wants to
explore this feeling. Clean out your attic, the folders you haven’t
touched for years, GIF repositories, your university’s warehouse, and
the dumps of Silicon Valley – or its small-town emulators. Get your
hands on this stuff, and send us your finds. Any media is allowed,
apart from new!

Domenico Quaranta, curator

More infos:

http://www.pixxelpoint.org

http://domenicoquaranta.com

---

Domenico Quaranta

http://domenicoquaranta.com/

mob. +39 340 2392478
email. info at domenicoquaranta.com
skype: dom_40
home. vicolo San Giorgio 18 - 25122 brescia (BS)