[spectre] ANN: Workshop on Preservation of audiovisual records (Prague, 20-23 May 09)

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Wed May 20 10:45:57 CEST 2009

From:    image.science at donau-uni.ac.at
Date:    18 May 2009
Subject: ANN: WS on Preservation of audiovisual and digital records

TRAMSISTOR
Workshop on Preservation of audiovisual and digital records

Supported by the MEDIA Training Programme of the European Commission.
An exceptional opportunity to meet with international leaders in the
fields of preservation.

CIANT_International Centre for Art and New Technologies in collaboration
with FAMU presents:

Preservation techniques and methodologies for digital and audiovisual
records
Prague, Czech Republic
May 20-23, 2009

Speakers from 8 countries with:
- Richard Wright from BBC (UK)
- Dalit Naor from IBM (Israel)
- Richard Rinehard from the UC Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film
   Archive (USA)
- Don Foresta, MARCEL and Ecole Nationale Sup rieure d Arts (France)
- Oliver Grau, Danube University (Austria)

more information: transistor.ciant.cz

Video of previous TransISTor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wca-B8olJqo

What do you do to preserve your organisation's digital and AV records?

With the world wide growth of digital information we as a people now
have a new problem, there is a mass of data that must be stored and
interpreted permanently. There is a strong risk that we will lose a good
deal of our data, both that which is digital and that which is not yet
digitalized. Today many of our processes become obsolete quickly and are
replaced by new storage process, so that we need numerous systems to
access all our old data. How well we can access our legacy of data will
have important consequences in our organization s ability to retain our
information capital as well as our Human cultural heritage. Currently
new techniques of archiving and retrieving of audiovisual records are
being developed and are resulting in new methods for the retention of
capital of audiovisual information and the preservation and access of
films, videos and interactive media.

Among the lecturers:

Richard Wright (UK): Senior Researcher, BBC Research and BBC project
manager on European Commission projects PrestoPRIME (digital audiovisual
preservation) and PrestoSpace (audiovisual preservation technology for
Europe). www.bbcarchive.org.uk

Dalit Naor (IL): Research Staff Member and Manager of the Storage
Systems group at IBM Haifa Research Dr. Dalit Naor holds M.S. and Ph.D.
degrees from the University of California, Davis, and a B.S. degree from
the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, all in Computer Science.
Her work is focused on developing advanced functions for storage
systems, including support for long-term digital preservation, secure
access to storage and power-efficient storage systems. Dr. Naor s prior
areas of interests include combinatorial optimization, bioinformatics,
applied security, and content protection.

Richard Rinehard (USA): Digital Media Director at the UC Berkeley
Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive in California He is Associate Director
for Public Programs of the Berkeley Center for New Media and is a new
media artist. Richard has exhibited his art at Exit Art in New York and
elsewhere; curated digital art exhibitions for the Berkeley Art Museum,
New Langton Arts in San Francisco, and others; and he has taught digital
art at UC Berkeley and beyond. www.coyoteyip.com

Don Foresta (USA/FR): coordinator of a permanent high band-width
network, He is using new technologies as creative tools specializing in
the network as an artistic space. He is now a Visiting Research
Associate at the London School of Economics and professor at the Ecole
Nationale Supérieure d Arts - Paris/Cergy. He has been working for over
25 years developing the network as an artistic tool and is presently
coordinating a permanent high band-width network, MARCEL, for artistic,
educational and cultural experimentation. www.donforesta.net,
www.mmmarcel.org

Oliver Grau (DE): Professor for Image Science and Head of the
Department at Danube University Grau lectured in numerous parts of the
world, received various awards and is widely published (12 languages).
His research focuses on the history, idea, and culture of telepresence,
genetic art, and artificial intelligence. He was head of the German
Science Foundation project Immersive Art, whose team since 1998
developed the first international Database of Digital Art:
www.virtualart.at now based at Danube University.

Contact us: transistor2009 at ciant.cz

CIANT_International Centre for Art and New Technologies Kubel kova 27
130 00 Praha 3 www.ciant.cz