[spectre] MediaNoche, NY: Saturday, May 23, OPENING RECEPTION: THE POET. I DON'T WANT TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

susanne schuda susanne.schuda at silverserver.at
Tue May 19 16:02:53 CEST 2009

please feel free to join us for drinks, greets, talks

+ we are staying in NY until June 17, would be great to meet some people of
spectre

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

MediaNoche presents two multimediainstallations by Susanne Schuda and Florian
Schmeiser

THE POET
A video installation by Susanne Schuda

I DON'T WANT TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE
A sound installation by Florian Schmeiser

May 23 - July 11, 2009
Opening Reception: Saturday, May 23, 6pm - 8pm
Artists talk:  Thursday, June 11, 6pm
Gallery hours:  Wednesday - Saturday, 3pm - 7pm and by appointment

MediaNoche
1355 Park Avenue, Corner Store at 102nd Street
New York, New York 10029
212.828.0401
www.medianoche.us

Austria-based artists Schuda and Schmeiser’s most recent works examine
collective fears and individual violence.

In *The Poet*, Schuda uses digital photomontage, animation, text and sound
to reveal the interconnectedness of racism, fascism, self-hatred, love and
devotion.  According to Schuda, “Fascism and racism are growing again in
parts of Europe. My work is based on the thought that self-hatred is at the
root of our hatred of others.  Self-hatred nourishes our ideas of salvation
and the need to identify with a "Führer" a person who is pure and heroic.”

In *I Don’t Want To Set The World on Fire*, Schmeiser combines sound and
music to fuse two world orders – Biedermeier or petit bourgeois escapism and
post nuclear fantasy. A pilot helmet worn by visitors provides an acoustic
fusion of 19th century music by Franz Schubert and 20th century post World
War II lyrics.  Schmeiser explains, “I use material from different eras in
my sound work. The thoughts and mentalities ascribed to these periods are
still alive in different social contexts. The historical material is
socially branded and political. Through music, the perception of these
relations becomes emotional.“

*ARTISTS BIOS*

Susanne Schuda and Florian Schmeiser collaborate on public art projects as
schuda/schmeiser. www.schudaschmeiser.net

Susanne Schuda’s works include digital collage, text,
3D-renderings, animated videos and the internet. In 2008, Schuda was awarded
the Marianne von Willemer prize for media art, and received a scholarship in
media art from the Austrian government. She has exhibited in
Germany (Lothringer, Munich), Austria (Generali Foundation, Salzburger
Kunstverein, Neue Galerie Graz), Suisse (Viper, Basel) and USA (Slought
Foundation). Schuda is represented by Dana Charkasi Gallery.
www.susanneschuda.net

Florian Schmeiser’s works include autogenerative compositions, interactive
installations, music software tools, classical compositions, pop music and
film scores. He has performed and exhibited in Austria (Tonspur, MQ Vienna,
Mozart-Festival), Germany (ABC Festival), GB (Functionsuite
Edinburgh) France (Rencontres International), Italy (Fabrica Florenz)
and Slovakia (Multiplace).  www.florianschmeiser.net

http://www.susanneschuda.net
http://www.florianschmeiser.net
http://schudaschmeiser.net
http://dieschudas.at

*ABOUT MEDIANOCHE*

*Director’s Statement*

Our media practice is rooted in community, utilizing technology as a tool
for transgressing the dynamic, cultural space of Spanish Harlem in order to
engage, incite, and transform the dialectics of alterity and
marginalization.

*MediaNoche, a project of PRdream.com *

*MediaNoche is the place where art, technology and community converge.  We
offer artists working in new media exhibition space and residencies in order
to provoke a dialogue that blurs all lines of marginality and alterity.    *

Unique among arts and technology groups in New York, MediaNoche is directly
linked to the oldest Latino community of the city, Spanish Harlem, and has
showcased a roster of local and international new media artists.

MediaNoche is a project of PRdream.com, offering exhibition space and
residencies for artists working in new media.  Its programs are made
possible with the additional support of Manhattan Borough President Scott
Stringer, NYS Assemblyman Adam Clayton Powell IV, and others.  This program
is supported in part by public funds from the New York City Department of
Cultural Affairs and the New York State Council on the Arts.  Special
thanks:  Hugh Mandeville, Taina Caragol, Joe Falcon, Gabriel Flores, and
Omar Ovalle.