[spectre] Call: Art of the Overhead Festival, Malmoe, 15 - 31 May 2009

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 23 10:42:35 CET 2009

From: Kristoffer Gansing <kristoffer.gansing at mah.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:45:08 +0100

*   T H E   A R T   O F   T H E   O V E R H E A D
*   2 o o 9   *   http://www.overheads.org

Call for Overheads

We are happy to announce "OHPen Surface" - the
2009 edition of the Art of the Overhead Festival
featuring an exhibition, performances and
workshops in Malmö, Sweden May 15 - 31 2009.

This years festival will take place at
Stapelbäddsparken, a former Shipbuilding slipway
featuring 3000m2 of largely underground areas in
Malmö, Sweden. The "OHpen Surface" theme then,
refers not only to the OHpen Surface of the
Overhead projector but also the physical location
and organisational workshop-based structure of
the festival itself. However, with this framework
we also aim to encourage a critical reflection on
how technological standards, such as the Overhead
projector, relates to the dynamic of open and
closed which is so pervasive in the standards of
today's networked media culture (read on below
for more details on the festival theme).

We are now welcoming submissions for the OHPen
Surface workshop and/or festival in the following
categories:

* Transparencies for The Art of the Overhead
Archive (physical or as PDF's for printing). The
archive is a wall-mounted installation where
folders containing the different works can be
browsed and projected by the audience.

* Installation, works incorporating overhead
projection, custom built projectors,
digital-analogue hybrids etc.

* Performances, live performances incorporating
overhead projectors. From live cinema, vj acts or
different kinds of kinetic-sound generation to
the good old conference presentation.

Deadline for submissions is March 30, 2009 - use our "Submit" PDF on the
http://www.overheads.org website for
contributions in any of the above categories.

* Projects for OHPen Surface Workshop:
For work-in-progress (or more or less finished
works which require some time for preparation)
you may apply for our workshop week which will
run from May 15 until the opening weekend May
22-23. (NB: you do not need to be present the
whole week, please state how many days you'd like
to participate) This part of the festival is
organised in collaboration with "Kunst und Musik
mit dem Tageslichtsprojektor" (derstrudel.org,
Ralf Schreiber and Tina Tonagel) from Köln and
focuses on low-tech DIY appopriations and
performative uses of the Overhead projector.

*** O H P e n   S u r f a c e   -   F e s t i v a l   T h e m e   2 0 0 9 ***

"The reason for why we used simple overhead
projectors was because of their open surface,
where you could directly work with your
materials."
- Joshua White of Joshua Light Show.

Through performances, installations, workshops
and a growing archive of overhead transparencies,
the festival reflects on the different practices
connected to the history of the overhead
projector, from the bureaucratic and educational
settings of the classroom or business conference
to the counter-culture context of the 1960's and
onwards to the contemporary media culture. The
overhead prepared us for the cognitive structure
of PowerPoint, teaching us the importance of
keywords, summaries, bullet-lists, illustrative
pictures and a straightforward way of
presentation. In short, the overhead as a device
for instruction is a disciplinary technology. But
there are other histories of the Overhead
projector as well: from the 1940's it was a
standard equipment in Bowling alleys for the
projection of players scores and later in the
1950's and 1960's it was appropriated by beatniks
and hippies to create psychedelic "light shows".

This edition of the media-archaeological festival
The Art of the Overhead is centered around the
theme of the OHPen Surface, aiming at a critical
reflection on the role of standards in the
contemporary mediascape. The overhead projector
is a clearly recognisable standard for the art of
projection: it comes with institutional
disciplinary settings such as the school or the
business enterprise and with regulatory
frameworks of presentation both of the material
(such as the illuminated surface and the
transparency) and the mental/cognitive kind
(presentation guidelines, the do's and don'ts of
instruction). In our culture of increasingly
integrated networks of data flows, standards take
on a pivotal role, from legal frameworks to file
formats and communication protocols, we are
surrounded by the institutions of cultural
production that they bring about. What is
important to remember is that while all these
areas define different models of the "Open",
they, as all standards do, also leave some other
paths closed. How can such tensions be revealed
and acted-reflected upon in artistic production?

With this call for contributions for The Art of
the Overhead 2009 - we encourage artists and
other media practitioners to depart from the
Overhead projector as a standardized technology
which has the potential for re-activation by way
of its near outdated character. This entails
reflection-as-projection, deploying the Overhead
projector in the double sense of projection
described by Siegfried Zielinski: as both casting
out images representing the world and as a
shaping movement, a production or rather a
visionary pro-jecting of reality as delimited by
how we see it through the image. To work in one
media, criticizing another, or reflecting across
a whole domain of media culture through a
particular and well-known technological
institution is a kind of non-digitalisable
cultural practice that The Art of the Overhead is
all about, and through the OHPen Surface we call
for works that engage in this dynamic.

AbOHut
The Art of the Overhead is an international media
art festival, which took place for the first time
in Copenhagen September-October 2005. Since then
it has been followed by various exhibitions and
workshops, inspiring the collaborating offshoot
project "Kunst und Musik mit dem
Tageslichtsprojektor" in Cologne 2007. Now we
join forces and return to Scandinavia for a 2009
edition in Malmö, Sweden.

cOHntact
Concept and Coordinators: Linda Hilfling & Kristoffer Gansing
OHpen Surface is managed by the cultural
association The Art of the Overhead which is
based in the Öresund region and supported by
Framtidens Kultur and Malmö Stad.

info at overheads.org    http://www.overheads.org

Adress:
The Art of the Overhead
C/O Kristoffer Gansing
K3 School of Arts and Communication
Malmö University
205 06 Malmö Sweden

                 O  H  P  E  N     S  U  R  F  A  C  E

                OHOH        OHOH      OH          OH
              /OH   OH     OH  OH     OH          OH
             / OH   OH    OH    OH    OH          OH
            /  OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
   ___     /   OH        OH      OH   OH          OH
//  /    /    OH        OH      OH   OH          OH
|\\_\    \    OH        OHOHOHOHOH   OH          OH
|         \   OH        OHOHOHOHOH   OH          OH
|          \  OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
|_______    \ OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
|========    \OH   OH   OH      OH   OHOHOHOHOH  OHOHOHOHOH
|        |     OHOH     OH      OH   OHOHOHOHOH  OHOHOHOHOH
|========        F  O  R     O  V  E  R  H  E  A  D  S
|      |
|      |
o      o

*   T H E   A R T   O F   T H E   O V E R H E A D
*   2 o o 9   *   http://www.overheads.org
* Workshops, Exhibition and Performances * May 15
- 31 * Stapelbäddsparken, Malmö, Sweden *