[spectre] Re: Synthazards

Vladimir Todorovic vladimir.todorovic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:08:07 CET 2009

Dear Melentie,

thanks for your questions.

The work is not based on Thom's catastrophe theory, but definitely
there are some parallels we can draw. It is a fact that some hazards
trigger other hazards: volcanoes can trigger lightning, earthquakes
can cause tsunamis, lightnings trigger landslides, etc. If we could
come up with mathematical models for analysis of natural hazards as a
dynamical system, we might (not) have been closer to understanding of
what natural hazards are. This is something we were not interested in
pursuing when we were producing Synthazards.

In our project, algorithms used to prototype the hazards are almost
arbitrary and they work like one layer of the project that is equally
important to the other ones: the type of hazards, the dynamics of the
forms generated, materials, etc. they are not used to understand the
hazards better, but they are used so that we can manufacture the
prototypes we can look at. we used vornoi 2d algorithm for drought,
random walk for lightning, simulation of fluid dynamics for lava, and
others to focus mainly on the beauty of hazards. one can say that the
beauty of the vornoi algorithm is interacting with the beauty of
drought. this formal approach is so 'romantic' that it is in a way
ignorant of the notions to understand what natural hazards are.

best,