[spectre] (fwd) Symposium on Urban Trajectories in Cairo

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Mon Jan 12 10:15:52 CET 2009

Pericentre Projects /
Townhouse Gallery of contemporary art

Symposium on Urban Trajectories in Cairo
January 16th -17th, 2009

Rawabet Theatre
3 Hussein Al Me'mar Pasha Street
off Mahmoud Basiouny Street
Downtown, Cairo

<http://kharita.org>http://kharita.org

					The
Kharita symposium is the first public event of an
ongoing initiative that explores multiple urban
orders simultaneously at play within Cairo.

In recent years, suburban complexes and town
centres have been emerging along the outskirts of
the capital at an unprecedented scale. These
real-estate developments are under construction
in parallel to an incessant proliferation of
informal settlements across the city's districts.
Meanwhile, educational institutions,
multi-national corporations and government
apparatuses are moving out of the centre and into
those new zones.

At a moment when notions of centre and periphery
collapse into each other, we invite a number of
architects, artists, curators, urban planners and
scholars to rethink what it means to live in
Cairo. Through a series of interviews, lectures,
videos, panels and performances, we look at how
the circulation of power operates within the
city, while inscribing our notions of value,
difference and desire.

We approach the current moment of building cities
as a potential site for articulating new
positions vis-à-vis sentiments of nostalgia and
the function of criticality. The Kharita
symposium considers the impact of cities-to-be on
art practices and discursive activity in Cairo.

Contributors:

Amr Abdel Awi, Sherif el-Azma, Hisham Bahgat,
Clare Davies, Eric Denis, Marwan Fayed, Markus
ElKatsha, Alaa Khaled, Aglaia Konrad, Samir
el-Kordy, Akram al-Magdoob, Omar Nagati, Marion
von Osten, Katja Reichard, Joseph Schechla, Peter
Spillmann and Brian Kuan Wood.

The Kharita symposium is organised by Pericentre
Projects (Nida Ghouse, Malak Helmy & Shahira
Issa), in collaboration with the Townhouse
Gallery of contemporary art.

Project Co-ordinator: Dalia Suleiman