[spectre] Definition of 'Acadenemic' on Rosalind

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Dec 7 11:14:21 CET 2009

Sorry for any cross posting...

Definition of 'Acadenemic' on Rosalind - add your own voice, your own
definitions on your own terms...

"Acadenemic - A constant refusal by certain academics, historians to
grant a truth by not including in their studies 'real histories' of
other significant artists or collectives, independent groups in their
publications. A cultural sickness recognised in Media Art culture." Marc
Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/rosalind/definitions.pl?id=144

The definition above is on Rosalind, an upstart media art lexicon, born
in 2004, following a sheltered 9 month gestation. Originally created to
give voice to those who are either ignored, not represented fairly or
are misrepresented by certain academics, institutions, historians and
'official' media outlets. Even though many may be considered or seen to
be actively engaged in their work to be proposing a less divided world
or a more inclusive society in their critical practice, in many cases
this is actually not true in respect of how they act in reality.

This project of course does not intend to resolve the issue as an
absolute antidote to such forms of cultural snobbery and elitism in
Media Art and related cultures. Mainly because we know that it will take
years, far too long for any actual 'authentic' change to happen. This
habitual form of culturalized dysfunction touches upon a taboo that is
systemic and has its own risks whenever anyone tries to openly discuss
it. So, just to make it clear, we are not interested in the making of
stars or treading on others so to reach some shallow and misguided,
place in art or social history if it means having no soul left when you
get there, where ever 'there' is. We value the outsider and those who
are not readily accepted, we always will. We don't close doors we open
them. We do not believe that to share our culture or platforms that you
need to harbour any particular ideal or need to pretend that you are
more informed than you really are - we are not pretending, we are
learning just like you.

We have chosen our own way in dealing with this and do not expect
everyone to be the same as us, yet we do appreciate the 'real' need to
find alternative routes out of this separatist cul-de-sac, the need
mutually break down the various hermetically sealed and elitist
frameworks that negatively hold back others from sharing and being a
part of the growth in making this world better than it is now. And yes,
we are not perfect but we are open in acknowledging the issue, rather
than denying it. Remember, just because many are using the cache of
activism to employ their agency does not mean that they are not part of
the problem, we all are. Lets work together in resolving this, rather
than forming childish little playground cliques, perpetuating the
mannerism of mono-cultural conformity. We are not deluded with the
notion that Rosalind is a proposal or mechanism that will somehow create
change, it is merely a symbol of a massive blind-spot in our shared
practices - asking politely, sometimes with humour that, perhaps if we
took the time to understand and 'even' appreciate other people's
imaginations, beyond our usual, restrictive parapets. We may get a
little bit closer that place which does not only exist as a dream or
utopian desires...

Feed Rosalind with your own words and definitions to express and declare
what you are, what you do and the worlds you create, on your own terms.
Influence and mutate her, help her to maturity. Because we all need to
move beyond where we are all now...
http://www.furtherfield.org/rosalind/

This project was concieved in January 2004 For 9 months the nascent
lexicon was fed with words and their definitions.

In early September 2004 we agreed a name for the lexicon- Rosalind-
after Rosalind Franklin and launched it to the world to be influenced
and mutated and helped to maturity by all who interact with it.

The Gest at tors were: Marc Garrett, Neil Jenkins, Ruth Catlow, Ivan Pope,
Helen Varley Jamieson, Karla Ptacek, Andy Deck, Joseph & Donna Mcelroy,
Alan Sondheim, Ryan Griffis, Michael Szpakowski, Patrick Lichty, Maya
Kalogera, Alexandra Reill.

----------------->

Other Info:

A living, breathing, thriving networked neighbourhood, we are truly
rhizomatic ;-)

Furtherfield - online media arts community, platforms for creating,
viewing, discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

We are on Twitter
http://twitter.com/furtherfield

Other reviews/articles/interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

HTTP Gallery - physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Netbehaviour - an open email list community engaged in the process of
sharing and actively evolving critical approaches, methods and ideas
focused around contemporary networked media arts practice.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Furtherfield Blog - shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice.
http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio - real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative 'many
to many' dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org/x.html

Furthernoise -  an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of innovative cross genre music and sound art
for the information & interaction of the public and artists alike.
http://www.furthernoise.org