[spectre] [aa-vv] Join in!: 'THE LAST THEATRE SHOW EVER'. Munich. 21-27, 2009

franck-ancel.com info at franck-ancel.com
Fri Aug 28 16:17:05 CEST 2009

OOTT: Once Open a Time Theater

For my conference at « Refresh! » (1), I chose the topic « From
Scenography to Planetary Network »: about Polieri's research in France.

Now, I would like to shed some light on the sixties, particularly in the
US, through the theater, pre-and-post media, where environment was
performance. The personality of John Cage is the best known and
identified, between two major events: the first multimedia happening
which occurred at Black Montain College and the « Nine Evenings » at
EAT. In Oliver Grau's book published by the Leonardo Press, « Virtual
Art: From Illusion to Immersion », he printed an excerpt from Gene
Yougblood's « Expanded Cinema » (1970) about Milton Cohen's « Space

We need to discover especially how this invisible '360° history' has
become a permanent fixture in the art of contemporary media. How can we
understand the past and future of space hybridization? This conference
is not about modernizating old space but about new writing to decipher –
from the national boundaries of delays and advances in « mediart » -
towards a RE-visionnary « LIVE » media art.

To be continued @ re:live09 (2)

Best regards from Marspace,
Franck Ancel

(1) http://193.171.60.44/dspace/handle/10002/319
(2) http://www.mediaarthistory.org

PS German interview about Ancel's zerography there:
http://www.fhnw.ch/hgk/iis/pressespiegel/institut-daten/081108_baz-kultur_in3-08.pdf