[spectre] RADIATOR - Call for Artists: Exploits in the Wireless City

Anette Schäfer anette at trampoline-berlin.de
Thu Nov 6 13:12:21 CET 2008

www.radiator-festival.org

RADIATOR  -  CALL FOR ARTISTS

Festival | Symposium
Nottingham 13 –18 Jan 2009

EXPLOITS IN THE WIRELESS CITY

OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Deadline 25th Nov 2008

Since the abundant proliferation of digital communication technology, our
(living) space has been expanded, transformed, reshaped. In our everyday
lives we increasingly connect to mediated interfaces, be it consciously or
without knowing.
Digital media is increasingly integrated seamlessly into all areas of
everyday life and work. The so-called ‘virtual worlds’ created in this way
are merging ever more dynamically with our physical environment generating
new hybrid spaces, becoming a fixed part of our reality themselves.

Our cities are increasingly pervaded by data networks, watched over by
cameras, skinned by media facades, populated by users of mobile
communication devices carried around with every step. ‘City’ itself has
become a media space, a complex fabric, in which an immaterial layer of data
is augmenting the urban landscape, both merging ever more seamlessly.

Radiator continues its investigation into the way that artists engage with
locality and site, real and virtual urban space. The ‘Wireless City’ brings
deep cultural changes and our traditional spatial coordinates are gradually
being superseded by an enhanced network.

Sharing their inferences and conclusions, artists are invited to reflect
upon the challenges facing our freedom, the poetry of resistance and also
the opportunities the ‘Expanded City’ has to offer.

Radiator welcomes all forms of artistic expression aligned with the theme.
The programme will provide multiple exhibition and display opportunities
across the East Midlands:

• Gallery/ White Cube Spaces
E.g. Going Underground Exhibition (For more information click here)

• City spaces/ Site-specific works

• Events

• Indoor/ Outdoor Screenings

HOW TO SUBMIT WORK

Submissions should include:
• Images/documentation/videofootage (supporting material in one of the
following formats: as standard definition DVD or VHS, as a file on CD (SWF,
Quicktime or Avi accepted – use standard codecs such as Sorenson, Cinepak or
DivX). Any file that cannot be viewed using standard media players will be
passed over.
• Description of work
• CV
• Submissions form, downloadable from here pdf or word doc.
    (Also Available online at http://www.trampoline.org.uk)

Key points to consider in your proposal:

• From video, animation, installation, sculpture, performance, live music
and web streaming we encourage all forms of new media expressions.

• We especially encourage the submission of participatory works, which
promote a high degree of audience involvement.

• Please include an SAE if you would like your submission returned to you.

Submissions to be send to:

Radiator
Broadway Cinema
14-18 Broad Street
Nottingham
NG1 3AL
UK

Deadline for submissions: 25th Nov 2008

 Any queries please contact Matt Davenport matt at trampoline.org.uk
+44 (0)115 8409272

A Trampoline project with financial support by Arts Council England