[spectre] /Victims' Symptom/ - Open Call for Contributions (artworks, comments, texts and debate questions)

Ana Peraica anaperaica at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 14:46:18 CET 2008

/Victims' Symptom/ - Open Call for Contributions (artworks, comments,
texts and debate questions)

* *

/Victims’ Symptom/ http://victims.labforculture.org, curated by Ana
Peraica (Croatia/The Netherlands) and commissioned by LabforCulture
http://www.labforculture.org to celebrate its first year anniversary in
the summer of 2007, invites the public to join in the preparation for
the /Victims’ Symptom/ online debate to take place in April 2008. The
project is focused on the following questions:

Why does the mass media prefer to talk in terms of numbers of corpses,
calculating them morbidly, with apparent disregard for the victims’
status? Do numbers matter? Or is each loss a single one?

Does the number of victims reported by the media’s “truth speaking” make
any real difference or is it perpetuating the media myth that cannot
report on few? Who profits from death? Is there a bureaucracy of death?
What is the dominant exchange rate between civilians and soldiers, our
victims and their victims?

Is the cultural production of victims preventing us from seeing the
actual victims? Are we able to see what happened only after a sufficient
number of movies, novels and theses published on massacres? Is earning a
degree on a massacre ethical? Furthermore, how can denying a massacre
lead to no consequences? Are we losing our capacity for empathy? Are we
victimised ourselves? Is there a therapy for such a world?

We are inviting the public to send in their responses to these questions
in the following ways:

*1. **Links to existing projects to be reviewed*

Links should be accompanied by a short description (100 words max)
explaining which particular curatorial question or questions they
address. This description will subsequently accompany the selected links
on the /Victims’ Symptom/ website.

*2. **Full, published texts or interviews (html, blog, wiki…) *

Texts should be summarised in a short description (200 words max)
outlining the specific issues and questions they address. Texts that
require users to login for access will not be considered.

*3. **Separate discussions on mailing lists, message boards and forums
with public access *

Moderators with proposals for discussions should send an email outlining
the concept along with the names of the proposed participants. If the
discussion is to take place on external mailing lists, message boards or
discussion forums, the forums should be open access and, optionally,
have an RSS feed. A one-line description of the location of the
discussion should be provided, stating the URL, focus of the group /
forum, year it was founded, number of members, etc.**

Send an e-mail to _victims_symptom at yahoo.com_ with your proposal for
participation by 21 March 2008.

All contributions will be reviewed by /Victims’ Symptom/ curator Ana
Peraica and assistant Marko Stamenkovic' and selected material will be
included in the online space and debate in April 2008.

For more information on /Victims’ Symptom/:
_http://victims.labforculture.org_

--
LabforCulture is a partnership initiative of the European Cultural
Foundation and would like to thank its funders for their support.

Be part of something bigger: One website, 50 countries, 5 languages.

http://www.labforculture.org

* *

* *