(fwd) Re: <nettime> [spectre] Klaudio Stefancic: New Media Art in Croatia

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Mon Jul 14 23:32:19 CEST 2008

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:17:11 +0200
From: Ana Peraica <ana.peraica at st.htnet.hr>
To: nettime-l at kein.org

Dear Zeljko

I am not bitter (topic of the nation cannot make me so). But also I am
not an ex-patriot... I live in Croatia.

But, I am not sure what makes your criteria for "in Croatia"? Is it an
artist? a curator? a theorist? whose placement? Whole archive of mailing
lists is in Split, Croatia on Zvone's disk.

Mentioned networks are actually only nationally funded... There are much
more of places than mentioned and there are also events (previous to
those mentioned) which are not under the Soros or Ministry of culture
fund.

There was a great exhibition Slike Prostora (Zvone was curating in
Split), there is a great underwater production lab by Ivo Dekovic's on
Rt Razanj merging each year students from Aachen and Split. And nearby
there is also a great place Kalebova Luka where Patrice, Geert (if I
remember correctly), Fritz and others were coming in the early 90s till
today, which is more than important. There we were getting all the
information on festivals, studies, even grants... Network of friends,
not Soros funds...

It is all about people... not about nation or position. And there it is
really unfair not to mention the engagement of the Syndicate, some
Nettimers.  Croatia wasn't disconnected island during the 90s but it was
hard to travel so the Internet communities were functioning to bridge
and connect.

But I think old Nettimers actually know who was in Split in these years
far better and for how many years Split Film Festival was inviting and
reporting on Syndicate...

best,

Ana

>  On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Ana Peraica <ana.peraica at st.htnet.hr> wrote:
>
>>  Maybe because national institutional centralized networks on the net are
>>  quite disfunctional but despite the fact they tend to have an
>>  institutional explanation (if not even an interpretative colonialism)
>>  backwards /retro-actively, retrospectively.../, while intuitive,
>>  displaced international networks are more friendly and they are used
>>  rather than imposed as a meaning.
>
>  Maybe it seems so from your perspective...
>  but before getting bitter about it
>  please consider also it might be that
>  this text is a fair attempt to map out
>  "New Media Art in Croatia"
>  focused on local activities tied to specific
>  local-political-cultural-economical context,
>  rather then wider field of
>  "New Media Art of Croatian citizens and diasporas"
>  which would be tied to genealogical
>  and civic/nationality administration.
  <...>

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at kein.org