[spectre] Biennial Tehran CALL FOR ART 'Urban Jealousie'

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Sat Apr 12 16:07:02 CEST 2008

e-artnow: 12.04.2008

Biennial Tehran CALL FOR ART 'Urban Jealousie'

		Phone:
		Fax:
		Contact: Amirali Ghasemi and Serhat Koksal
		<mailto:biennialtehran at gmail.com>biennialtehran at gmail.com

		<http://www.biennialtehran.com>www.biennialtehran.com

		1st station:
Istanbul, 30th May - 6th July 2008

Curated by Amirali Ghasemi and Serhat Koksal

Urban Jealousy
the 1st International Roaming Biennial of Tehran

30th May - 6th July 2008

Curated by Serhat koksal and Amirali Ghasemi

CALL FOR ART
Deadline: Monday 21st of April
you can find text and application form ;
<http://www.biennialtehran.com>www.biennialtehran.com

The theme of this biennial is URBAN JEALOUSY. A
Jalousie * ("jealousy" in French) is a window
that one can see through but not be seen;
barriers that allow us to observe the world
without being invited to the table. Iranian
artists are given an understanding of what goes
on in the world without being offered a single
opportunity to communicate their thoughts-outside
of our very own jalousie window: a rigid ethnic
frame within an extremely politicized context.

Of all the huge urban areas around the world,
Tehran stands out as a different kind of
Megalopolis. It boasts one of the most dynamic
art scenes in the Middle East even as the city
itself deals with a rudimentary public transport
system, an exploding population crisis, and an
ever-increasing sprawl of mass housing; An
unsightly city of experimental architecture that
swallows entire villages and towns without
offering them any sort of public services.

Despite its complicated urban situation-which
according to experts has already spiraled out of
control-artists" societies in Tehran continue to
hold numerous biennials in semi-tribal fashion. A
great number of these events are
government-sponsored projects whose outlook and
also their premises can shift 180 degrees from
one year to the next. Each community has its own
set of ceremonies, as a result of which, any
sense of solidarity among the artists is lost.

The Tehran Visual Arts Festival, The Calligraphy
Biennial, The Sculpture Biennial, The Cartoon
Biennial, The Painting Biennial of the Islamic
World, The Graphic Design Biennial, The
Children"s Books Illustration Biennial, The
Painting Biennial, The Poster Biennial, The
Poster Biennial of the Islamic WorldŠ the list is
endless.

Although the legendary "TEHRAN BIENNIAL" goes
back 50 years, not a single one of the
above-mentioned events can be considered a
biennial by prevailing and accepted international
standards".  An arts society recently published a
call to boycott the upcoming Painting Biennial in
order to demand a professionally curated
exhibition, protesting the open call process and
a "jury" they deemed unacceptable.

It seems impossible to have a proper Tehran
biennial in Tehran, so our sprawling city and its
elitist art scene remain excluded from the highly
competitive art market in the region despite
being surrounded from all sides by lucrative
biennials and auctions. We may have great artists
living and working in Iran, but we don"t have a
chance to share the profits.

Tehran, as one may suppose, does not seem
interested in presenting itself as a desirable
destination for cultural tourism, by playing it
"cool" like other global cities, or scramble to
be hip by coughing up the membership dues to be
in the international art market.

So, to jumpstart the process, and after a long
discussion with my friend, Serhat Koksal - a
critic of the global biennialization process - we
decided to curate a "mini", on the move, Tehran
biennial. To not only stop complaining about the
current situation but to benefit from the
advantages of it. An independent, low- budget,
traveling exhibition which can be presented
almost anywhere. We will travel like nomads,
carrying artwork, objects, texts, and whatever,
in a package no bigger than a medium-sized
suitcase, preferably weighing less than 20 Kg.,
so it can be carried on any cheap flight.

Urban Jealousy will end its journey in May
2010,but Tehran"s Roaming Biennial will carry
on.Feb 2008

		<http://www.e-artnow.org>www.e-artnow.org