[spectre] Pedagogical Faultlines (workshop, 21/22 September, Amsterdam)

director director at eaf.asn.au
Thu Jun 21 12:10:56 CEST 2007

Hi Geert,

I can see that the speakers for the "Pedagogical Faultlines,
International Workshop on Alternatives in Education", will
be from Holand, India and Brazil,  but, I think that the
organizers should reconsider this, and wonder if there is a
possibility to invite the Australian Federal Health Minister
Tony Abbott who has suggested a return to corporal
punishment to bring discipline back to schools!
See:
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,21904849-948,00.html
(text also below)

Cheers,
Melentie

June 15, 2007 07:54am

FEDERAL Health Minister Tony Abbott has suggested a return
to corporal punishment to bring discipline back to schools.

The comments came after Mr Abbott watched footage of an
attack on a Melbourne schoolgirl.

The grainy vision from a mobile phone showed a teenage girl
repeatedly kicked in the head and body by two other
teenagers.

Mr Abbott was alarmed by the footage and said it showed that
discipline in schools was not working.

"I mean, we've taken corporal punishment out of the schools
because we think that's brutal and yet our playgrounds seem
to be becoming more brutal than ever," the minister said on
Channel 9.

"Maybe a little bit more discipline in the schools would
prevent some of the ugliness that we've just seen."

Mr Abbott said it was a different situation in his day.

"When I was a kid at school, if you got up to mischief you
were punished, not severely, but nevertheless you were
punished."

Victoria Police have cautioned two teenage girls over the
assault on a fellow student last year in Melbourne's western
suburbs.

Two students from Copperfield College were expelled
following the attack.

Mobile phone footage of the brawl first circulated last year
and aired again on television on Wednesday night.

AAP

> [...]
> English version  available).
>
> You can find more background in this email below. The full
> program will  be available early July.
>
> Four themes will be tackled at the conference:
>
> Extra-institutional Pedagogy
> New Sources of Knowledge
> Social Knowledge and Professional Practice
> Multi-site Practices
>
> The conference is of high level. The conference is meant
> for advanced  people from the educational field. They will
> participate in the 2-day  conference/workshop.
>
> Regarding the 2-day event the different speakers from
> India, Brazil and  the Netherlands can fill in their
> session. We are thinking of a  different way of
> approaching the event than the usual concept: a speech
> and at the end questions. It would be interesting to make
> it more  participative and interactive, since we are here
> to discuss different,  experimental, innovative, creative
> ways of conveying knowledge, thus we  should also try it
> here. An idea is to request the different speakers  new
> ways to convey their messages.
>
> One idea is to start of with a general introduction
> concerning the  topic of the session; next the various
> speakers could prepare an  interactive session regarding
> their educational field.For example it  would be
> interesting how CRIT [Collective Research Initiatives
> Trust]  actually teaches students about architecture, but
> how can you teach  cities? How do you ask youth from the
> Bijlmer to tell something about  their lives, try to put
> yourself in their position and tell your own  life story?
>
> It would be even more interesting if we could have
> interactive sessions  with participants and the concerning
> students, to see what they learn,  how they learn.
> Speakers could try to bring audiovisuals, or maybe even  a
> mobile version of their educational toolkit, so that
> participants can  experiment hands on with the various
> educational methods.
>
> Because of the limited capacity it is recommended that you
> register in  time. Please write to: lipika at waag.org.
>
> ---
>
> PEDAGOGICAL FAULTLINES
> A workshop on issues in learning practices and knowledge
> creation in  the contemporary
>
> Themes
>
> 1) Extra - institutional Pedagogy
>
> Emerging from crisis within formal educational structures,
> pedagogical  practices have been forced to move into more
> ‘informal networks’,  intimating new possibilities of
> pedagogical forms, structures,  resources and practices.
> These are sites that open up the question  around the
> "professionalisation" of pedagogical purposes and also the
> nature of the pedagogical intervention, where the role of
> the teacher  and the learner are routinely destabilized.
> Traditionally, the  development discourse around knowledge
> has been in terms of knowledge  transfer (from the more
> knowledgeable to the less knowledgeable) and  access (for
> the ‘knowledge deprived’ to ‘information
resources’). This