[spectre] from media art to open source culture

Armin Medosch armin at easynet.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 13:02:03 CET 2007

Hi Marius

thanks for your feedback. admittedly the economic model for the
individual artist was not foremost on my mind when I wrote this text, I
did not really touch on that issue. But if you want to know my opinion,
i dont see it as negatively as you do, with media artists existing in a
publicly funded ghetto only. I think it is much more diverse and many
people are living a range of mixed and precarious economies. and it is
true that in this regard the situation is very similar for artists and
open source developers, that you dont live from but _for_ your work.

also, i dont say that the role of the artist becomes redundant, but
regarding the relevancy for the co-evolution of culture and technology,
open source culture as a whole is what matters, not media art. the
avantgarde role that media art once had is now with the politicized free
software movement. but I dont want to polarize between artists and
developers. some artists play an important role in open source culture
and many artists have shown big committment to facilitating platformes
for free expression, etc.  I see a continuing role for artists too, but
we need to be aware that the whole playing field has changed through
FOSS and the Internet. This change is ongoing and we cannot be sure
where it will lead, but with this text I have been trying to understand
the dynamics of that change - to get sort of the bigger picture. the
question of the revenue model will also be settled eventually, but this
is not for me to decide but for society to settle.

best
Armin