[spectre] Let's help Turbulence!!!

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Dec 10 16:09:03 CET 2007

Hi Everyone,

Please go to Turbulence (http://turbulence.org) and make a donation now.

I really, really think that everyone should be gathering a momentum in
supporting Turbulence right now.

The positive and cultural impact that they have had in supporting and
nurturing the continuation of a lively and dynamic Internet and media
art culture, has been pretty solid through the years.

Many artists and artist groups have gained not only decent commissions
from Turbulence but they have also experienced, productive results from
their involvement with Turbulence regarding representation and other
relevant connections that feed the much needed process of becoming seen
by a larger audience. Their unique and flexible approach with working
with artists is noted and respected, we could do with a few more groups
like them out there.

I am not exactly rolling in cash, but I have made an effort in
contributing some money today. I want those who value our media art
culture to give their money and support to Turbulence also. I do not
just hope that Turbulence gets past this troubling period, but I also
personally need reassurance that there are plenty of people out there
who are interested in contributing to a sustainable future of groups
such as Turbulence beyond mere, personal and immediate needs; that
people are still interested in trying to maintain a creative field that
does not only rely on traditional structures to justify our shared
imaginations.

We need these progressive platforms to keep our work and potential
growth around it alive.

We need them all. Feed them and they feed us - it's simple.

So, please do not waste time and help them out before it's too late.

Wishing everyone well.

marc
www.furtherfield.org

 > Many of you may not realize that we are a tiny, not-for-profit
organization.
 > Helen and I spend much of our time raising funds from government and
private
 > foundations to commission networked art. Our mission is to support both
 > emerging and established artists.
 >
 > There are very few resources for new media/networked art in the United
 > States, which makes the process highly competitive. When we succeed,
we are
 > only entitled to use a very small percentage of the grants for server
 > maintenance and administrative overhead, which translates into inadequate
 > salaries for ourselves and our system administrator.
 >
 > Our passion for the field has fueled our commitment for many years,
but we
 > can no longer sustain Turbulence, Networked Performance and Networked
Music