[spectre] New Reviews on Furtherfield 30/4/07.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Apr 30 17:49:55 CEST 2007

New Reviews on Furtherfield 30/4/07.

http://www.furtherfield.org

- Jess Lacetti interviews Chris Joseph (Babel):
Chris Joseph is Digital Writer in Residence at De Montfort University,
Leicester, UK. He is a writer and artist who has produced solo and
collaborative work since 2002 as babel. His past work includes Inanimate
Alice, an award-winning series of multimedia stories produced with
novelist Kate Pullinger; The Breathing Wall, a groundbreaking digital
novel that responds to the reader's breathing rate (also with Kate
Pullinger); and Animalamina, an A-Z of interactive multimedia poetry for
children. He is editor of the post-dada magazine and network 391.org.
http://www.furtherfield.org/chrisJosephinterview.php

- Article on Yves Klein by Joseph Nechvatal.
- Long live the immaterial! Yves Klein,
The Chelsea Hotel Manifesto.
Yves Klein is for me, and many others, the most important French artist
after Henri Matisse. This may sound somewhat appalling to some, as Klein
enjoyed only a very concise, but invigorating, seven-year artistic
career. But I will clarify this controversial judgment by pointing out
his historic relevance to our era of digital culture. The emphasis here
will be on Klein’s conceptual articulation of the spatial and the
ephemeral/immaterial in relationship to our current actual state of
virtuality. Indeed the subtitle of the exhibition, CORPS, COULEUR,
IMMATÉRIEL (Body, Color, Immaterial), itself brings out the salient
viractual aspects of Klein's art.
http://www.furtherfield.org/YVESKLEINreview.php

- What If We Played A War and Nobody Won?.
- Review by Natasha Chuk.
What If We Played A War and Nobody Won?: Critical Approaches to War in
Videogame Art is a mouthful of a title that asks the big question that
lingers in our contemporary culture’s collective mind and begs its
audience to consider the possibility of deconstructing war through game
metaphor. This online exhibition is comprised of six online games that
tamper with the rules and styles of standardized games. Each explores an
aspect of war -- from its gruesome realities to its philosophical
blurriness – through play. What is being reinvented here is not the act
of play and the skills required to “win”, rather the motivation behind
play and how it relates to our perceptions of war.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=227

- The Last Tag Show by Pash*.
- Review by Nathan Lovejoy.
The Last Tag Show cleverly took advantage of Last.FM's technical
structure to pull off a 24 hour performance. As the allotted time
progressed, viewers saw tracks and artists appear in succession on
Last.FM user profile lasttagshow's profile page. These were no ordinary
songs however, the artists instead altered the metadata of audio tracks
such that when they were uploaded to the Last.FM servers they appeared
as a multi-character dialogue. The principal personages in the
performance include “Moderator,” “Hannah,” “Voiceover,” “Instructor,”
“Marck,” “Zita Vass,” and “Gregg,” with occasional guest stars like Thom
Yorke.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=228

- The Postnational Foundation by Dan Phiffer.
- Review by Luis Silva.
Dan Phiffer, a computer hacker from California (now based in Brooklyn),
interested in exploring the cultural dimension of inexpensive
communications networks such as voice telephony and the Internet,
created the Postnational Foundation, a website/series of public
interventions, defined as “an ongoing series of brief, personal
interventions, an open-ended question about personal agency and a
starting point for doing something meaningful”. Each of these three
goals contains a very important concept, contextualizing Phiffer’s
practice (and discourse): interventive behaviour, personal agency and
meaningfulness. In these three concepts we can anchor the importance of
The Postnational Foundation, in the steps of Lyotard’s views of the
contemporary world.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=229

Other Reviews:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreviews.php

About Furtherfield Reviewers:
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviewersbio.php

If you want your work reviewed or to be a reviewer on Furtherfield,
contact - marc.garrett at furtherfield.org