[spectre] THEAUSTRIANABSTRACTS

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Sep 25 23:52:24 CEST 2006

Hi Heiko,

Isn't using a term such as 'bad art' a bit of a generalisation - a bit
20th century? I know that wars are back in fashion now, but surely such
words as these are just no longer needed to describe contemporary art.
Langauge has moved on now...

Perhaps, Armin may have a point.

If you are saying that there has only been "5 years of bad art after
9/11", then may be you have not been looking at much of the work that
has been made in that time. Or perhaps you are not interested in
contemporary creativity, for some personal reason.

If we are playing the binary game though - here's one to chew on:
-would a conservative prefer 'abstract art' or 'political art', which
one do you think that individual would go for?

Personally, I enjoy some abstract works - but I am also very interested
in net art and (new) media art. I find many of the questions that have
been proposed, coming out of such works to be aesthetically imaginative
and intellectually challenging. I have been working with many people in
this area, teaching it at Universities and working with others (peers)
at our studios in London. And to be honest, many of the people that I
have had the privelage to work with not only posses a creative
understanding that critically engages in exploring beyond 'modernist'
and canon-like values, but are also able to shift and split paradigms
apart, with the issues put forward in their work that was unimaginable
before, with content, context. not forgetting social awareness., and the
of course the technology used for its crafting...

This surely cannot be as you say - 'brain.dead'. I think that you must
be talking about something very different like our governemnts...

all the best...

marc garrett.

p.s.

guess this song:

I've been patient, I've been good, tried to keep my hands on the table
It's gettin' hard this holdin' back, you know what I mean
I'm sure you'll understand my point of view, we know each other mentally
You gotta know that you're bringin' out the artist in me

CHORUS
Let's get critical, critical, I wanna get critical, let's get into critical
Let me hear your network talk, your network talk, let me hear your
network talk...

Furtherfield - http://www.furtherfield.org
HTTP - http://www.http.uk.net
Node.London - http://www.nodel.org