[spectre] Open call for entries - Digital and Moving Image Commission, Broadway Nottingham UK

anna petry anna at broadway.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 19:28:53 CEST 2006

Open call for entries
Broadway Cafebar Digital and Moving Image Commission

As part of a new programme of digital and moving image work at Broadway we
are looking to commission a series of single-screen video or moving image
films or artworks for large-scale projection in our cafebar.

We are looking to work with a range of artists who are making exciting,
innovative and engaging artwork to develop our creative programme of work at
Broadway. We are particularly interested (but not exclusively) in working
with artists based in the East Midlands.

The digital and moving image programme will officially launch in January
2007, these commissions will form part of the pre-launch programme and will
coincide with the launch of the new building from October 2006.

Technical Specifications
Projections will take place in a busy, intergenerational cafebar. All work
will be screened silent and consideration needs to be given to the
environment in which it will be shown.

Moving image work is defined as film, digital film, video and work with new
technologies.

Application
Please submit a brief outline, not more than an A4 page, describing how you
would approach this commission.

The one page detail of your approach to this commission should convey:
your main idea or theme, the visual style and look
screener tape of the proposed work or supporting material as dvd, vhs video
or cdrom.

Theme
There is no set theme and we are genuinely open to anything. However, it is
worth bearing in mind the demands of the cafebar space and the history of
Broadway as a cinema and social centre.

You may wish to make work that uses moving image as the link between the
cinema and digital arts.
You may wish to make something that is durational - For example 24 hour
psycho by Douglas Gordon.
You may wish to engage with the iconography and history of cinema.
We are particularly interested in work that has an emotional integrity or
explores audience engagement.

We are looking for high-quality work that shows original thought and ideas.
It should aim to excite, surprise and challenge a wide audience, including
those who may not be familiar with contemporary moving image work.

Communications
Please send applications in an envelope marked ‘Cafebar Moving Image
Commission’ to:

Broadway Cinema and Media Centre
Anna Petry
14-18 Broad Street
Nottingham
NG1 3AL

The deadline is 20th September 2006.
Modest budget to be confirmed.

If you have any queries relating to this commission, please contact Anna
Petry at anna at broadway.org.uk or on 0115 9526600.

For detailed information go to:
http://www.digitalartsforum.org.uk/forum/index.php

Anna Petry