[spectre] reminder: open call netporn seminar

Marije Janssen marije at paradiso.nl
Mon Nov 13 17:15:00 CET 2006

Open Call for Contributions
( C ) lick Me
A manifestation about internet pornography

Dates: June 1 & 2 2007
Location: Paradiso, Amsterdam
Organized by: Paradiso and the Institute of Network Cultures in
collaboration with Katrien Jacobs and Matteo Pasquinelli

Paradiso and the Institute of Network Cultures would like to invite you to
send in your work for ( C ) lick Me, an international manifestation on
internet pornography. This edition will focus on topics as commerce vs.
individual, (gender) identity, social and ethnic minority groups, politics
and censorship.
( C ) lick Me will take place in Amsterdam on June 1 & 2 in 2007. We are
currently looking for people who are working on the subject of pornography
and sexuality and would like to present their work to an international
audience. If you are a theorist, artist, researcher, producer or in
another way engaged in the field of netporn, we encourage you to send in
an abstract of your work.

Program
The event will take place on Friday June 1st and Saturday June 2nd. On
both days opening lectures will be held by keynote speakers. After the
keynote lectures, each day will be filled with clusters of presentations
and lectures concerning one of the four themes. In the evening of the
second day there will be an extensive artistic program with screenings,
performances and installations.

Topics
Four main themes shall be used as focus points for the presentations:

-        The revolution of alt pornography: in what way has alternative
and do-it-yourself pornography democratized porn production? What are the
reactions of the commercial industry? How does it influence our perception
of porn?
-        Porn niches and “trans” gender: stereotypical social divisions
with groups like hetero, gay, transsexual and transgender seem to matter
less and less. What new revolutionary identities are arising? Are old
patterns making way for a larger network of sexual possibilities?
-        Globalization of porn and the influence of ethnic minorities:
this session wants to define the way various ethnical groups make use of
the possibilities of porn. In what way do they they shape their own
sexuality, making use of new technologies like the Internet?
-        Politics of netporn; censorship, new rights and nightmares: Porn
is subject of repression (censorship) as well as progression
(emancipation, liberalization). Where do we draw the line? What are the
newly acquired rights that we already got out of this still expanding
subject?

During this manifestation, we want to give an in-depth look and sharper
focus, based on the four themes that are provided. The organisation aims
to create an atmosphere where people from different backgrounds can meet
and exchange views on the topics that are raised.

Significant dates
Deadline for submission abstract (250 words) and biography (100 words): 30
November 2006

Submit to: marije at paradiso.nl

Acceptance notification:

Further enquiries: marije at paradiso.nl