[spectre] Talk about Post Autonomy (Modified by Geert Lovink)

David Goldenberg dged03 at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 12:52:13 CEST 2006

Bureau for research into Post Autonomy. From David Goldenberg.
david at postautonomy.co.uk
Http://www.postautonomy.co.uk/blog

Talk about Post Autonomy

Invitation to present ideas on Post Autonomy

     One hour presentation in the PA site chat room
     Webcast debate on Saturday May 20th

Hello

In order to develop a number of the ideas generated during the on-going
series of "Walk/dinner/webcast talk events", I would like to invite you
- on behalf of the Bureau for research into Post Autonomy - to present
any ideas or thinking you may have concerning Post Autonomy - whether
your thinking covers the ambiguity of the notion, its difficulty as a
concept, problems with its application, disagreements concerning the
notion, or positive insights you may have into PA etc.

An opportunity to take the on-going series of "walks/dinners/webcast
debate" further

As you may recall one of the threads of these events has been to
"Develop a practice in the space of  Post Autonomy" . The specific
concern's of this stage of the project is to find a point or ground
where it is possible to build a Post Autonomous Practice, and to test
out whether PA exists solely as text or as theory, in other words can
it be anything else? But as you also probably realize the definition of
Post Autonomy is in the process of formation, the domain of Post
Autonomy itself is in the process of being mapped, so it is not so
clear cut how to address these issues.

So we would be interested to hear or receive any thoughts or concerns
you have on this set of issues, since we consider any thoughts you have
to be very valuable, while it is the difference's, and perspectives
into this notion which we are interested in knitting together.

What is Post Autonomy?

If the notion of Post Autonomy is in formation, and there are different
trajectories for opening up PA, how do we then establish an agreed
reading of the notion so that we can at least begin to discuss the
notion Post Autonomy, and further on down the line look at embodying
PA?

For my part I am interested in examining the trajectory of a PA that
examines the exiting of Autonomy and its relationship and identity to
the regime which we identify as a Euro-centric  tradition of art - What
I want to suggest is that we have entered into a completely different
domain, the domain of PA. What we are then faced with is the question
of the use and value of constructing a contemporary cultural practice
along completely different principles, which is equivalent to mapping
out the domain of PA.

Here I think Ola's [Ccred] recent perceptive observation into PA is a
useful point of departure. He noted -

"In relation to the post-autonomy project, the comment was made that
the project raises a significant question: What is a concept? How does
a concept operate? Referring specifically to the notion of
Post-Autonomy, for instance, is it meant to be an art historical
concept (used to group together and define a number of practices as
being post-autonomous), or is it an 'inventive' concept (i.e. is it
used to crack open habitual practices of thought (and practice in
itself) to open up to different parameters of cultural
production/practice)?"

A weekly one hour slot to present texts, lectures, and any other ideas
on Post Autonomy in the PA website chat room

A one hour slot   on the Post Autonomy website chatroom - (this may
develop into a webcast event shortly) - each week on a Wednesday or
Thursday evening, starting at 7/8 pm gmt, followed by a further one
hour slot for q&a. (Once I have feedback we can set a start date and
adjust both the day & time to suite participants). The idea is to
provide the space for the delivery of a substantial text or material on
Post Autonomy - followed by a substantial and serious feedback from the
on-line community and visitors.

Webcast debate on Post Autonomy on Saturday 20th May

I have recently installed a project in a group show at Netwerk/centrum
voor hedendaagse kunst, Aalst, Belgium, titled Back to back: a dialogue
on Post Autonomy between David Goldenberg and Others. The work proposes
different platforms through the examination of participation for
discussing and staging a contemporary cultural practice. Part of the
work consists of a computer, data projector and on-line connection,
webcam.

During the first two days a small group of local people camped for 48
hours on the platform, using the stage in whatever way they wanted to,
while also looking into Post Autonomy. Next week there is a second PV
and series of events. I have proposed staging a lecture/performance
with the group who staged the 48 hr wake event. But it would also be
interesting to take that material a stage further by using these ideas
to stage a general webcast debate into Post Autonomy. I would therefore
like to invite you to take part in this Web cast debate to share your
views on Post Autonomy.

The structure of the web cast debate

Technical issues

What I propose is a loose structure until I receive feedback, then the
initial structure can be fine tuned. If you don't have access to a web
cam, we can think about using skype or the PA chat room.

Start time of the debate

What I propose is that the debate start at 4 pm Belgium/European time
(which is 1 hour ahead of gmt) and that each person/group is given one
half hour slot to present their views, followed by a brief q&a session
of approx 10 minutes at the end of each presentation. At the end of the
debate we can have a more extensive q&a session of approx 1 hr.
(*Please note there is also the possibility of staging the debate
during the evening of the 19th May from 20.00 pm Belgium/European time)

* If you are interested in taking part can you let me know as soon as
possible and roughly the time you may want to present material then I
can time table you in, once I have a clearer view of the event I will
get back to you with a more precise outline of the programme.

Ideas for taking the debate into Post Autonomy onto the next stage

In addition to the above events I want to invite you to engage with the
research into Post Autonomy on a more regular basis.

If you haven't looked at the Post Autonomy website I would like to
invite you to do so. The site is still in the early stages of
development but it does give a rough idea of the possibilities for
engaging in the project, along with the issues the site proposes to
examine.

Below I have set out a few of the things the site is looking at:

The site is set up as a hub or centre to generate discussion into
issues raised by Post Autonomy
A space to embody ideas of a Post Autonomous practice
A space for experiments into Participation
A space for presenting texts on PA

Currently there are opportunities for taking part in -

.       The regular Monday evening chat room Q&A debates - 7 pm gmt
.       On the first Sunday of each month we propose to meet in the
chat room to discuss the management of the site and
         programme of events
.       A substantial reading of core texts examining and opening up
Post Autonomy

If you have any questions on the above please do not hesitate to
contact me

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards

David Goldenberg