[spectre] What Survives - Sydney Australia

Snagglepussy snagglepussy at snagglepussy.net
Tue Mar 21 11:55:00 CET 2006

Here is another offering from Australia, this time in Sydney. If anyone
is interested I can send you the pdf of the catalogue.

regards
Gail Priest

WHAT SURVIVES: SONIC RESIDUES IN BREATHING BUILDINGS

Consisting of three major gallery-based sound installations and a
program of commissioned works for two sound stations in the building,
WHAT SURVIVES explores the real and imagined remnants of human presence
in architecture.

The structures we build bear silent witness to our behaviour—what have
the walls, beams and girders absorbed and what sonic secrets can be
coaxed back out of them? Does this ephemeral material influence the
energy of the spaces we inhabit?

Taking inspiration from Rilke, WHAT SURVIVES conveys the
indestructibility of energy and its subsequent transformations and
manifestations.

GUEST CURATOR Gail Priest

GALLERY ARTISTS Nigel Helyer, Jodi Rose,  Alex Davies

SOUND STATION ARTISTS Garry Bradbury, Joyce Hinterding, Aaron Hull,
Somaya Langley, Amanda Stewart, Sumugan Sivanesan

OPENING: 24 March 2006, 5.30-7.30pm
EXHIBITING: 25 March - 22 April 2006, Wed - Sat 12- 6pm

ARTIST TALK Saturday 25th March, 2-4pm
GUEST SPEAKER Densil Cabrera, Coordinator of The Graduate Audio Design
Program in the Faculty of Architecture, University of Sydney

Performance Space Galleries (199 Cleveland St Redfern, Sydney)
http://www.performancespace.com.au/eventframe.php?event=86

Gail Priest
http://www.snagglepussy.net

upcoming exhibitions
 >Unnatural Selection
new media sculpture exhibition
Manning Regional Gallery, Taree March 17 - April 16 2006

 >What Survives: sonic residues in breathing buildings
sound installations
Performance Space Galleries, Sydney March 24-April 22