[spectre] Local Democracy Symposium - Budapest July 26-28, AND Baltimore August 3, 2006

Steven Clift clift at publicus.net
Thu Jun 8 21:38:42 CEST 2006

*** Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://DoWire.Org ***

    To access links, see Steven Clift's blog:
http://dowire.org/notes/?p=227

Post: Conference - International e-Participation and Local Democracy
Symposium - Budapest July 26-28, AND Baltimore August 3, 2006

Come one. Come all.

As a follow up to the first symposium in Minneapolis last year
(on-demand webcast now available - http://dowire.org/localedem ), this
year a two part event in Budapest, Hungary (July 26-28, 499 Euros) and
Baltimore, Maryland (August 3, $99) will take place.

These will be great events for information-age democracy builders to
connect and network. This year I am chairing the "E-Citizen" panel in
Baltimore which will feature real stories from the front lines of
e-democracy.  The draft Budapest agenda is available and I know in
Baltimore, the Deliberative Democracy Consortium is helping organize a
few of the panel sessions. I'll post any updates that come across my
desk to the new Local E-Democracy Exchange online group mentioned just
below.

The full details on the symposium see (see below for more text):

      http://www.edemocracysymposium.org

If you are interested in local e-democracy, join the proposed Local
E-Democracy Exchange (LEX) right now:

      http://groups.dowire.org/groups/local

Initially, I'll use it to share further public updates I am forwarded
from this year's symposium organizers.

I'd like to see the LEX online community of practice get launch at the
symposiums. With periodic guest presentations via
teleconferences/webinars, we'd connect at least 500 local government
and civil society e-democracy/e-participation practitioners around the
world real knowledge sharing. This knowledge sharing will be supported
by e-mail/web online discussions, document sharing, and the
increasingly popular "who's who" function built into DoWire Groups.

While I am a big fan of in-person conferences, if we are to be serious
about helping the civil servants and citizen groups implementing
e-democracy locally around the world, the organizations building
e-democracy with resources will need to join us and support this idea.
In my opinion, well promoted and facilitated two-way online information
exchange will lead to bigger and bigger traditional e-democracy
networking events and conferences in countries around the world. If you
know of groups with funding that should chip in to make make the LEX
happen, drop them a note about the Local E-Democracy Exchange proposal
or share your advice and contacts with me so we can make this happen:
clift at publicus.net

Below are more details on the Budapest and Baltimore symposiums from
their website.

Sincerely,
Steven Clift
http://dowire.org

P.S. If you can't quite decide about whether to attend the conferences,
watch the just released webcasts from last year to help convince you.
See: http://dowire.org/localedem

From:
http://www.edemocracysymposium.org

e-Participation, Social Inclusion, Democratic Engagement:

The Next Big e-Agenda has Arrived

Citizen Centric e-Government:  The UN is talking about it.  The EU and
Council of Europe are talking about it.  Governments around the world
are grappling with it.

But what is it – simply allowing citizens to conduct their business
with government online?  Or, using the power of IT to radically
reengineer the relationship between citizens and government?

What´s really happening – merely hosting a few online consultations to
talk to the usual suspects?  Or, deploying technology in new and
innovative ways to ensure that even the hardest to reach groups are
included?

What´s really coming next – a few isolated initiatives?  Or, a new
global policy agenda that will radically redefine the way we have all
come to think about ?eGovernment.´

This summer, senior government officials from central and local
government, NGO´s from around the world and leading eGovernment experts
will come together to discuss the evolving relationship between
eGovernment and eParticipation and to critically re-examine the way in
which ?readiness´ in these areas is defined and measured globally.

To ensure genuine international input from every level of government
and all key sectors, participants will have the opportunity to attend
the Symposium in either Budapest or Baltimore.

The Budapest Symposium will set the stage for discussion and debate
around the critical challenges stakeholders face as they struggle to
deliver the full potential of e-Government.

The Baltimore Symposium will be a 1 day event on the 3 August, which
will take the findings of Budapest and explore them at greater depth in
the country that has pioneered the art of online campaigning but now
faces the challenge of translating e-advocacy tools into more inclusive
governing.

Help shape the debate by participating in these highly timely and
dynamic events.  Topics will break outside the conventional conference
agenda to critically re-examine the impact of technology on
citizen-centric government as we know it. Plenary panels and small
group sessions will highlight key democracy activities from all levels
of government and society.

If you are interested in exploring new approaches to governance and
citizen participation in the new information age then this conference
is for you.

KEY PARTNERS:

·      UK Department for Communities and Local Government
·      United Nations – Department of Economic and Social Affairs
·      Council of Europe
·      National Association of Secretaries of State, USA
·      International Centre of Excellence for Local eDemocracy
(www.edemocracy.gov.uk)

PARTNERS: (in alphabetical order)

·	American Association of People with Disabilities
·       AmericaSpeaks
·	Association of Central and Eastern European Election Officials
·       Association of Electoral Administrators
·       De Montfort University
·       National Association of State Election Directors, USA
·       North Lincolnshire Council
·       Politech Institute
·       Public Forum Institute
·       Swindon Borough Council
·       University of Maryland, Baltimore County

Budapest Agenda

Engaging and Encouraging the Participation of All Citizens - Budapest

DAY ONE
Welcome Plenary - Setting the scene and Launching the International
Centre of Excellence for Democracy
Coffee
Research Presentation Findings Plenary – The Results and Findings of a
Comparative Study into e-Democracy at Municipal Level in Europe and
North America
Cocktail Reception

DAY TWO
Morning Plenary – Best Practice and Learning

Seminar 1
e-Voting in Legally Binding Elections: Can it be Trusted?

Seminar 2
UNDESA: New Ways to Measure e-Participation on a Global Basis

Masterclass 1
Voice Toolkit

Coffee

Seminar 3
Challenges in the Developing World?

Seminar 4
Devolving Power: Making Democracy Work

Masterclass 2
Be a Blogger, Vlogger, Podcaster!

Lunch

Seminar 5
Social Inclusion in the 21st Century

Debate 1
Should we be Voting in our Pyjamas?

Masterclass 3
Voice Toolkit

Seminar 6
Current Technology, What´s Hot and What´s Not?

Debate 2
Hard to Reach Groups: Why Bother?

Masterclass 4
Be a Blogger, Vlogger, Podcaster!

Coffee

Seminar 7
Policing the Net: Authentication

Debate 3
Online Communities: Are They Just For Dating?

Masterclass 5
Access to Accessibility

Evening Dinner

DAY THREE
Morning Plenary – The Future

Seminar 7
e-Government Connections and Challenges

Seminar 8
> From e-Voting to e-Participation: Connecting Governments, Parliaments
> and Civil Society

Masterclass 5 TBA

Closing Plenary

*** Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://DoWire.Org ***

    To comment/for links: http://dowire.org/notes/?p=227
    To network: http://groups.dowire.org
    Submit posts: http://dowire.org/submit

Member profile for Steven:
http://groups.dowire.org/main/contacts/stevenclift

Group home for Newswire - Steven Clift's blog posts by e-mail:
http://groups.dowire.org/main/groups/newswire

Replies go to members of Newswire - Steven Clift's blog posts by e-mail
with all posts on this topic here:
http://groups.dowire.org/topic/114227

For digest version or to leave Newswire - Steven Clift's blog posts by
e-mail,
email newswire at groups.dowire.org
with "digest on" or "unsubscribe" in the *subject*.

Newswire - Steven Clift's blog posts by e-mail is hosted by Democracies
Online - http://dowire.org.